The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   I just don't know what to do any more. (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/i-just-dont-know-what-do-301257/)

CandyCanes 10-25-2013 12:50 PM

I just don't know what to do any more.

So Diddly is lame... Again. I've had him 4 months, and he's already been lame twice.
The first time was due to thrush, but that's gone now.
Then today I brought him in, and he was resting his front right leg when I put him in the box. It was then that I suspected, but I thought, no probably not.
I went out riding, and the second he walked forward, I knew he was lame. I trotted him up the drive, to make positive, and yes he's definitely lame.
I tapped his lame foot with the hoof pick, and nothing, but he has got some heat where the hoof meets the leg (coronary band if i'm not mistaken?)
He's perky enough, and he had no problem trotting forward.

Every one keeps telling me he will go lame because he's big (16.1). Now its 'I told you so'.
Should I just give up.... Lame twice in 4 months. Is he destined to on and off lameness for the duration of his life.
I just don't know.
I am getting the farrier out tomorrow, if he's no better. I've no idea what it is. :(

Speed Racer 10-25-2013 12:54 PM

Sounds like he's brewing an abscess, if you're feeling some heat in his coronary band. That's where a lot of them blow out.

I'm not aware that taller horses are more prone to going lame than shorter ones, but genetics, nutrition, and overall health all play a huge part in their soundness.

CandyCanes 10-25-2013 01:00 PM

I googled that, and this is what's come up for me to: Abscess.

Could you give me some info on this ailment? How long it takes to burst, how long they remain lame, what causes it, how to prevent it.
Btw, if it helps to decipher it at all, it has been RIDICULOUSLY wet here for a couple of days.
Also, i think just above his coronary band felt squishy... The abscess?

Roux 10-25-2013 01:00 PM

I have never heard of bigger horses being more likely to go lame either... Personally I wouldn't listen to that bit of wisdom.

I agree an abscess is likely given what you said.

How old is your horse? Does he have shoes on?

I wouldn't give up on him yet. He may need a little work if he is getting an abscess and give him time to heal but with proper hoof care and trims most horses can be abscess free and sound once they have healed.

I hope he feels better soon! Let us know what the farrier says!

spirit88 10-25-2013 01:00 PM

Agree with speed racer sounds like a abcess brewing. I had a big horse. He was 16.2 1/2 hands tall never took a lame step in his life.

He spent most every weekend at big hunter jumper shows jumping 3.6. Aslo did open jumpers at 3.9 he never had any lameness issues.

CandyCanes 10-25-2013 01:07 PM

Diddly is a 4 year old, rising five in January, 3/4 thoroughbred, 1/4 Irish Draught. He wears shoes, front and back.

Zexious 10-25-2013 01:08 PM

I have never heard the anecdote that tall horses become lame all the time. xD My Hunter is 16.1, 20 years old... Had his first lameness issue last week.

Subbing, interested to hear what happens with this!

Roux 10-25-2013 01:11 PM

Sorry for the double reply... I just saw your other post.

An abscess is a small encapsulated infection in the hoof. The infection will continue to expand while the horse's body creates more pus and infection. There is no room for the expansion of the infection inside the hoof. This is what causes the pain and sudden lameness because of the increased pressure inside the hoof. Next the puss will find a way out. This is usually when it bursts. It can come out anywhere but like SpeedRacer said they usually go up the hoof wall and come out at the coronary band. The heat you feel is a sign of the infection.

They can be caused by a few things. For example a puncture (nail going in too deep), dead tissue from bruising, and other things. Basically it is a bacterial infection.

Once it bursts you need to keep it clean and treat it to prevent infection as there is a good chance he will have an open wound. As soon as the pressure is relieved from the abscess bursting the horse is almost immediately sound again. Unless there is another one in there or some other mitigating factor.

Hope this helps a little.

Speed Racer 10-25-2013 01:13 PM

An abscess can take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks to burst, with the average time running about 10 days. You may also see him take a regular step and then the next time take a lame one. That's also pretty consistent with an abscess.

Horses don't rest their front legs the way they do their backs, so any time you see one 'resting' a front leg it's time for concern.

Since he's just come off a bout of thrush, I'm honestly not surprised he may be abscessing. Thrush is very hard on their feet.

Yes, once it bursts you're going to have to keep the site clean or you can have a secondary infection set in.

CandyCanes 10-25-2013 01:16 PM

Thank you all! I think it definitely is an abscess. It's squishy on his coronary band, so it'll probably burst. I will keep an eye on it.