The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Saddle Fitting Issues (http://www.horseforum.com/saddle-fitting-issues/)
-   -   Should I keep this saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/saddle-fitting-issues/should-i-keep-saddle-301417/)

disastercupcake 10-25-2013 07:50 PM

Should I keep this saddle?

5 Attachment(s)
This is a Courbette De kunffy dressage saddle. Got it for a very reasonable price, but its only a medium wide and I was just going to resell it. However, I tried it on my big guy, who is a half draft, and he did really well in it. The first pics are of this saddle, and the hunt saddle is the one I currently ride in-which is a wide.

What do you think? Should I keep it or go for another wide tree?

trailhorserider 10-25-2013 08:03 PM

I am not an english rider, but to me, the dressage saddle looks like a better fit than the hunt seat.

Maybe you can ride in it for a while to see how well it actually fits him before you make the decision to sell or not. But looking at it, it sure looks good up there. :-)

disastercupcake 10-25-2013 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=

Maybe you can ride in it for a while to see how well it actually fits him before you make the decision to sell or not. But looking at it, it sure looks good up there. :-)[/QUOTE]

I was surprised to see that the cantel wasn't super high- just a little. He moves out much nicer in the dressage saddle than the hunt. Im not sure if that is because it puts ME in a better position, or because he actually does need a med/wide instead of a wide..

tinyliny 10-25-2013 08:51 PM

From the side view, the saddle appears to be in a very good balance. The cancel has a slight raise to it over the pommel which is correct the stirrup is hanging in a vertical alignment I like the fit. We could make a more accurate assessment if you took photographs without the pad underneath.

disastercupcake 10-26-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3958369)
From the side view, the saddle appears to be in a very good balance. The cancel has a slight raise to it over the pommel which is correct the stirrup is hanging in a vertical alignment I like the fit. We could make a more accurate assessment if you took photographs without the pad underneath.

Thanks for the analysis, I appreciate it :)

I think I will definitely be keeping this saddle- we did some actual work in it today and he was into the bridle nearly the whole ride- something we've really been striving for, and haven't quite gotten to in the other saddle.

I'll get some pictures without the pad just for kicks though- I want to make sure it isn't pinching, but if it were, I don't think he'd work so miraculously well in it :D

unclearthur 10-27-2013 04:43 AM

If you look at the two, you'll see the GP puts far less panel on the horse's back than the Courbette. That could be making a difference to his way of going, even if the latter is really too narrow. I t depends on the horse.

The other thing that springs to mind from the pics is your GP looks very like a foreign brand. Apologies if it's not, but the head nail and flap are very Indian-looking. If it is, then their arches sometimes flex under load, giving an apparent better fit, and if it were me I'd check the arch is rigid by pulling on the points.

Like tinyliny said it's awkward to judge fit against the shoulder with pad and mane (!). I'm not familiar with the tree shape and because of the head construction, which looks narrow, you can't fairly judge the point angle, which is the key.

Really nice looking saddle, though :)

disastercupcake 10-27-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 3965953)
If you look at the two, you'll see the GP puts far less panel on the horse's back than the Courbette. That could be making a difference to his way of going, even if the latter is really too narrow. I t depends on the horse.

The other thing that springs to mind from the pics is your GP looks very like a foreign brand. Apologies if it's not, but the head nail and flap are very Indian-looking. If it is, then their arches sometimes flex under load, giving an apparent better fit, and if it were me I'd check the arch is rigid by pulling on the points.

Like tinyliny said it's awkward to judge fit against the shoulder with pad and mane (!). I'm not familiar with the tree shape and because of the head construction, which looks narrow, you can't fairly judge the point angle, which is the key.

Really nice looking saddle, though :)

Nope, you're right; it is foreign :)

I got it for a hundred bucks, so it's my 'toss in the barn and throw on the young horse' saddle.

Now that we're really ready for some serious schooling, I'm looking at some better saddles, ie the Courbette- even though its not 'top quality' the brand is unbeatable for the price, imo.

I'm also getting a wide tree Ainsley dressage saddle to try on him- so I will see if that too is a better fit than the Courbette. Will get more pics with no pad soon!

disastercupcake 10-28-2013 04:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some pics today :) Tried a couple different angles..

I can slide my hand without ruffling the fur/skin between the tree and his back. There also seems to me to be fairly even pressure from the front to the back.

I'm no saddle fitter however so there could've been variations that I'm just not seeing or feeling.

unclearthur 10-28-2013 06:27 PM

Do up the girth so its tight enough to mount, Then put the flat of your hand between horse and saddle at the top of his shoulder and slide it downwards. you should feel firm pressure, but not enough that your hand wants to stop at any point. Do the same both sides. Then put the flat of your hand between horse and saddle behind the tree point, lift the horse's foreleg and stretch it forward. It helps if you have an assistant to do this. Your hand shouldn't feel painfully trapped, though again firm pressure is fine.

The original pictures suggest the horse is slightly croup high, and I suspect from the later ones the saddle sits a little too low in front and would benefit from a flock adjust to lift it slightly. As it is it may throw your weight a little to far forward even if the fit appears correct.

Bear in mind, though, it's impossible to be accurate just from photos so I might just as easily be wrong.

disastercupcake 10-28-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclearthur (Post 3976970)
Do up the girth so its tight enough to mount, Then put the flat of your hand between horse and saddle at the top of his shoulder and slide it downwards. you should feel firm pressure, but not enough that your hand wants to stop at any point. Do the same both sides. Then put the flat of your hand between horse and saddle behind the tree point, lift the horse's foreleg and stretch it forward. It helps if you have an assistant to do this. Your hand shouldn't feel painfully trapped, though again firm pressure is fine.

The original pictures suggest the horse is slightly croup high, and I suspect from the later ones the saddle sits a little too low in front and would benefit from a flock adjust to lift it slightly. As it is it may throw your weight a little to far forward even if the fit appears correct.

Bear in mind, though, it's impossible to be accurate just from photos so I might just as easily be wrong.

I did do the hand under the saddle with it cinched, lightly- about 2 holes from regular riding tightness. Didn't meet any stopping resistance, and it felt about the same all the way down. Will have to retry with the foreleg stretch thing.