The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Gonzo's Journal - A Sucess Story In The Making :) (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/gonzos-journal-sucess-story-making-30147/)

IheartPheobe 06-22-2009 04:29 PM

Gonzo's Journal - A Sucess Story In The Making :)

Just thought I'd have a thread to track Gonzo's progress... and to brag about my amazing boy.. (:
6/22/09
Gonzo was getting so much better before lesson season was over, I was sure he'd be able to handle younger and less experienced riders and go to intermediate or beginner, and I was sure I'd have to give him up. But I came back today and found out I'll be riding him everyday until Friday and possibly after; though every single person in advanced wants to take him next week! He's doing amazingly!
There are so, so many things I'm proud of that happened today.
He's usually so, so spooky. I was grooming him before we rode and the brushes spilled out of the bag. They made a really loud clanging noise (O.O) and he all but flinched!!
When we were in the ring, it's just... so unbelievable how much progress he's made. Normally, little tiny things as well as big things, noises, and sudden movements scare him. I rode him through water today, and he was totally calm! I rode in two point, jumping position, and stood up in my stirrups while we trotted and he didn't go any faster, he just let me go. This is a huge step for a pony who's only been ridden under saddle for a year now. He's not young and was possibly ridden before, but to say he's gotten better is an understatement. He was completely okay when another horse started splashing in the puddles; he didn't let the noise shake him at all. .
We just got cows, and he didn't spook at them, either! And.. heres the shocker. All horses, not just spooky ones like Gonzo, spook at screaming. There was a girl riding in the ring nextdoor and she was screaming... Gonzo didn't even NOTICE! I am just... so, so happy with him right now. (:
Another issue we're tackling in his hyperness... I had to speed him up today! Usually he's going way too fast! He's just totally calming down! He cantered pretty fast, but I was giving him a lot of leg because he's still nervous about cantering and I wanted to encourage him.
He halted for me with no protesting, which barely ever happens, and didn't buck even once! He did great circles and wasn't even bothered when a humongous gelding was fallowing him around as if he was glued to his butt.
It was the first time he'd been ridden in two weeks, too! He was just so good! And seriously, he's gone from the horse no one ever wanted to ride to the pony everyone begs for. I'm so lucky to have the experience of working with this guy.
My instructor has a lot of things she wants to teach us.. and even though I might not be the one working on it, someone will be helping Gonzo learn his leads, lead changes, bending in and out, all kinds of circles, and though he does figure eights and cerpentines, more work will be put into those, too! And though since he's getting so good, he could be moved down a level, we're also going to try and complete a 2'0 jumping course by the end of the month.
We didn't jump today but I'll update everyone once we do.. Sorry for the novel :lol:

IheartPheobe 06-23-2009 04:06 PM

Aw, please someone read this. I'm really happy about his progress and really don't want to feel like no one cares.. :P

6/23/09
There are lots of little things that will help Gonzo and I improve that took place today. The mystery of his past was finally solved; I was completely mislead. Gonzo has been undersaddle his whole life, but was partially abused. He spent his life on an Omish farm, where horses are treated basically, as machines. They are only fed as much as is needed for them to stay alive, they aren't seriously worked on or dealt with to help them ride well, and are ridden by men who are usually full grown and almost always rough with them.
This solves a lot of mysteries with him. The reason he doesn't like Colin, one of our coaches, is obvious... men just scare him. He never had fly spray on him before, and since he is on the older side, he is probably not going to get used to it; this explains why he's so terrified of it.
They didn't groom their horses much, either... an obvious reason why Gonzo is so afraid of the rag I was using to clean his face off today.
We worked mainly on walk trot today. No cantering or jumping. We did caveletties, which Gonzo was great over. He was out last night, so he was very, very tired and barely moving, though. I rode without stirrups and he didn't react badly at all.
There were a lot more spooks today than yesterday, but everything he spooked at was new to him or just scary. He really is doing great! (:

horseluver2435 06-23-2009 10:06 PM

Sounds like you two are going a long way! Congratulations on the progress, I can't wait to see how he turns out! =]

IheartPheobe 06-24-2009 04:38 PM

6/24/09
Gonzo was very good this morning when he was being groomed, kind of irratible. Was very stubborn in the ring but cantered fabulously. :]
We're going to jump him tomorrow but he's going out so he'll be tired.

IheartPheobe 06-25-2009 05:53 PM

6/25/09
As I need to work on bigger horses, Gonzo and I will be taking a break starting friday, for at least two weeks. I may ride him for a week after that and then won't be able to ride him for a while.
He was annoying with his trotting today, fabulous cantering, amazing jumping. We did leg yields; he angles himself but we're gonna try tomorrow.
Rode no stirrups and he was good but I wasn't. We're trying again tomorrow but I'm a little nervous : P

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 10:11 PM

Awww, that is so brilliant that he is getting better and better :)
I can't wait to see what he's like after he has finished being schooled :)
You should be so proud of yourself & gonzo :D

shezacharmer93 06-29-2009 11:37 PM

Great Job! It sounds like you two are coming a long way. Good luck for the future :)

IheartPheobe 07-01-2009 09:39 PM

I'm not riding him for a while but Quinn jumped him over a 2'0 verticle two days ago! =D He's off work for a while after that, though :(

Iluvjunior 07-05-2009 12:59 PM

thats great who are you riding now??

IheartPheobe 07-06-2009 06:34 PM

At the moment, I'm on Luke. He's a huge black draft X. Very nice horse. (:
Gonzo is being ridden in a lower level now =]