The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   What to wear to a local hunter show? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/what-wear-local-hunter-show-301585/)

BuildDaBunny 10-26-2013 02:15 AM

What to wear to a local hunter show?

So I ride hunter/jumper and am new to showing. What is considered the proper wear? Do I need to have a belt?

xJumperx 10-26-2013 10:00 AM

At my first Hunter show, my trainer had me wear the exact same thing as the Hunter circuit riders. Essentially, if you're going to play in Hunter-land, you have to dress the part no matter what.

You'll need a hunt coat, show shirt, knee-patch riding pants (in tan), a belt, and long boots. Oh, and a helmet of course. Hunterland is very strict about attire (one of the many reasons I dislike showing Hunters, but no sense in me going on about that). Schooling shows aren't always lenient about attire, either. If you know the venue and have seen the type of stuff that is worn to their shows, just stick to that. I went to a schooling show at my old barn's place, and I was able to get away with not wearing the hunt coat simply because I knew they wouldn't enforce the dress code, because I had ridden at that barn before. People showed up to that show in tee shirts, though I still had a show shirt on.

All in all, I'd play it safe and get the whole attire. You will need a belt.
Hope this helps! :)

farmpony84 10-26-2013 10:03 AM

You don't HAVE to have a belt but it does make for a cleaner over all picture.

Little Mare 10-26-2013 10:39 AM

The story behind hunter belts that I've always heard is that in the event your stirrup leather were to break, you could use your belt as a stand in. ;)

That being said, YES to a belt. Many times your coat will cover it, but in the event the top of your breeches shows for a second or two, best have the proper attire on.
Posted via Mobile Device

horselovinguy 11-03-2013 12:15 PM

You need black gloves, leather preferably not material or crochet stuff.
Hairnet to hold off the collar, stud earrings...

If you are going to play in hunter land make sure you have the proper white fitted saddle pad too.

It is all about the picture you present as a whole in front of the judge...

webHorsedesign 11-11-2013 02:14 PM

Are you going to a schooling show or a recognized show? There's a huge difference in what you have to wear. Everyone above is right on the money for a recognized show. For a schooling show you can wear just about anything but must wear boots or paddocks with half chaps and a helmet.