The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   We finally have proof! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/we-finally-have-proof-301857/)

ponyboy 10-26-2013 06:18 PM

We finally have proof!

... that riding is a sport.

Doug Payne has posted a helmet cam video in which he's wearing a heart monitor, and it shows his heart working at about 88% capacity throughout. I don't know a lot about sports but I bet that's more than most people would expect. Okay, so not everyone rides cross-country courses, but still… It's too bad we don't know his weight or we could calculate the number of calories burned.

I wonder how other equestrian sports would compare?

jamesqf 10-27-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 3963345)

Did anyone ever disagree? Sure, riding is a sport. So are bowling and golf :-)

Dustbunny 10-27-2013 02:19 AM

I burn calories just watching cross-country!!!!!
Takes a lot of energy to "ride" the course with a horse and rider team. It's exhausting, I tell ya.

ponyboy 10-27-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 3965673)
Did anyone ever disagree?

Only a ton of people! I hear "horseback riding isn't a sport" all the time! Apparently the horse does all the work - didn't you know?

its lbs not miles 10-27-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 3963345)

Doug Payne has posted a helmet cam video in which he's wearing a heart monitor, and it shows his heart working at about 88% capacity throughout. I don't know a lot about sports but I bet that's more than most people would expect. Okay, so not everyone rides cross-country courses, but still… It's too bad we don't know his weight or we could calculate the number of calories burned.

I wonder how other equestrian sports would compare?

While I don't know anyone who disputes that some equestrian activities are sports I hardly think that the criteria used here makes something a "sport". If the heart rate is all criteria you're using then there are farming chores that would qualify as a sport (e.g. spend 10 hours trying to keep up with the baler while loading hay after the first layer is on the trailer). Your heart, as well as the rest of your body, will be working at a greater capacity than something doing a cross country course :lol:.

jamesqf 10-27-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 3969505)
Apparently the horse does all the work - didn't you know?

Yes, I do know :-) And while riding a cross-country race may be serious exercise, I have to say that I haven't found moderate trail riding to be anything of the sort. Yes, there are a few specific muscle groups that need to be strengthened, but otherwise? Well, most rides I will get off and jog/trot with the horse, just to get the circulation going.

Ninamebo 10-27-2013 11:54 PM

Everyone here is pretty well aware of the physical exertions both parties undergo, this is an interesting vid though. Cool idea.

Cynical25 10-28-2013 04:15 PM

Neat! All my non-horsey friends definitely assume the horse does all the work, lol. We equestrians know otherwise!

ponyboy 10-28-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its lbs not miles (Post 3969977)
While I don't know anyone who disputes that some equestrian activities are sports I hardly think that the criteria used here makes something a "sport".

How do you get confused between chores and sports? The differences are obvious!

jamesqf 10-28-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy (Post 3977034)
How do you get confused between chores and sports? The differences are obvious!

I think the problem is that some people are equating "sport" with getting a good cardiovascular workout. Not the same at all: some sports, like golf or bowling, won't raise your heart rate at all, while lots of chores will. For instance, I get a much better workout cutting firewood than I do riding. Or take biking: if I take the dogs and go ride in the mountains for an afternoon, that's a sport, but if I ride the same bike to work or the store, getting the same amount of exercise, it's a chore.