The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Club Foot (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/club-foot-30194/)

Piper182 06-23-2009 12:00 PM

Club Foot

About 2 years ago, a little colt was born at our barn. His mother was the most beautiful dun quarter horse (super perfect and super sweet and only 14.3 or 15 hands) and his sire was a Grade A Welsh Pony. We were hoping for a little jumping pony and he is definately the right size, but poor little Bam Bam was born with a club foot.

The vet and the farrier tried to correct it, but nothing worked. Suprisingly he's a very good mover and super athletic, but when he runs himself to hard (in the round pen or field), he goes lame for a few days.

He has perfect ground manners, takes the saddle and bit easily, and learns faster than any baby around.

Does anyone know a job for him?

We know he probably can't jump or anything, but he wants so bad to be useful. He's about 12 hands, maybe smaller, but still growing. He is gelded. He clips, loads, and bathes.

smrobs 06-23-2009 12:04 PM

If he has the temperment or training for it, you might consider him a suitable mount for a kid who rides trails or does flat work only. Maybe an english pleasure mount? IDK. If all else fails, he could be a pasture buddy if it turns out that he can't be ridden. Or, you could sell him to a stable or something for him to be used to teach kids basic horse care; grooming, picking hooves, leading, etc.

ivorygold1195 06-23-2009 12:42 PM

prolly a trail or little kid lesson horse. and you could prolly for a 4H just for small shows.

kitten_Val 06-23-2009 01:01 PM

With proper training he could be a lesson horse for beginning little kids. Or do the light trail rides. In fact we have shows with "Trail Riding" class, horsemanship class, etc. Those are really easy on horse, but it still can get the ribbons!

White Foot 06-23-2009 01:12 PM

He could do flat classes, trail and if he really loves to learn he would be great at ranch work.

CheyAut 06-24-2009 03:56 AM

Also driving :)

EveningShadows 06-24-2009 11:15 PM

I'd try him at a cart before riding, personally. We have a miniature gelding with a club front foot and he's been long reined and driven solo around the yard, seems to enjoy being used apart from his nosedives for grass LOL! I would think pulling puts less intensional stress on the one leg than riding. Will also need more regular trims when in work because they're heel on the club foot grows faster than the rest and the angle will change as it grows, possibly putting more stress on it.

Just what I think...:D

Joshie 06-24-2009 11:37 PM

I hope his sire was gelded and his dam isn't rebred.

Horseykins 06-25-2009 12:30 AM

2 cents worth...

My first horse was a 15H bay gelding. I was 30 when we bought him, he was 5. He was born with a club foot. From talking to vets and research we've done we were relieved to learn that a club foot from birth is far less of an issue than one that developes later. Our boy is a smooth ride and has no problems that I've seen as a result of his club foot. We use him for pleasure and trail riding. Everyone is different. He's learned and grown to live with his club foot. His quality of life nor value has diminished in the least because of his foot. I hope you continue to enjoy your little guy and encourage him to learn all that he can. He sounds like a wonderful horse with a big spirit.

danastark 06-25-2009 01:31 AM

Our paint gelding is slightly clubby in his right front and we keep shoes on him, otherwise he wears his toes down and grows amazing high heels!. As long as we stick to 6-7 week trims and shoes, his feet look good. He has never been lame because of it which could have to do with the mildness of his angle.

Could he go to a therapeutic riding center where they do riding for people with physical/cognitive handicaps?