The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Cars and Trucks (/cars-trucks/)
- - D'oh - something is stuck in my truck's power socket! (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/doh-something-stuck-my-trucks-power-301985/)
D'oh - something is stuck in my truck's power socket!
I do NOT know proper truck terminology, so please bear with me.
We all know those round things where we plug in our cell phones and once upon a time it used to be a cigarette lighter instead, right? Right.
I have a very nice bracket thing that plugs into said socket, has 2 USB ports and also has a cradle to hold my phone. I removed it because I don't like to leave it plugged in when I park my truck. The end of the car charger thingy somehow became unscrewed from the rest of the gadget and is now lodged in there. I think it happened when I hit a bump in the road and the entire thing rotated (my phone is fairly heavy because of its case), and I turned it back to set it right. I think the rotation somehow unscrewed the end.
I've already tried sticking it back in there and seeing if I can turn it and screw the end back on, but that didn't work.
How in the heck do I remove it? I cannot use either power source until that end cap is out!
You might be able to get at it with a pair of needle nose pliers. The only thing is I don't know the shock value of doing it that way - to be safe you may want to temporarily disconnect the battery terminal.
I asked hubby & he said the same thing as above. Don't forget to Disconnect the Battery!
I don't think needle-nose pliers will fit in there. Try putting some mac-tack, blue-tack (whatever you call it: sticky blue stuff like plastercine) on the end of a dowel, shove that in there and pull it out. No need to worry about grounding out anything that way either.
Pull the battery to make it easy or look up in the owners manual which fuse supplies the cigarette lighter (power point) and yank that instead. If you're adventuresome you can just poke those needle nose pliers in, blow the fuse and find out that way which fuse it is! FYI, disconnecting the battery will likely reset your clock and saved channels on your radio.
Pair of long thin needle nose pliers will reach down in there or a pair of hemostats.
Don't get hurt whatever you do!!
I was going to suggest pulling the fuse rather than undoing the battery terminal as well. Although, if the fuse for the power outlet is connected to the clock/radio, you might as well undo the battery anyway. Then use the needle nose pliers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm going to have to try to tackle this after finals this weekend.
I am going to try the fuse route if I can figure that out. I'm way too short to mess with anything under the hood, LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
There isn't enough amperage there to hurt you anyway, DA; I'd be more worried about frying something else on the same circuit.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.