The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western saddle seat sizing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-saddle-seat-sizing-30205/)

dynamite. 06-23-2009 01:46 PM

Western saddle seat sizing?

Comparing to an english saddle - what is the sizing like for western saddles? For instance, if I needed a 17" english saddle, would I need a 17" western saddle? And are full quarter horse bars the widest westerns saddle widths?
Thanks!

Spastic_Dove 06-23-2009 02:38 PM

I ride in a 15" western and 17" english.

mls 06-23-2009 02:39 PM

Average 17" English translates to 15" western

An english saddle fits a horse differently than a western. If you are just getting into the western world, I suggest trying saddles before buying. Will save a lot of headaches.

dynamite. 06-23-2009 03:45 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm just wondering because I'm getting back into western riding. We have tons of western saddles at our barn but half of them are broken and the others are a bit narrow for my chubby, wide backed appy. So I'm trying to learn what I can about them so I can find the best fitting one until I have enough money to buy my own.

mls 06-23-2009 04:40 PM

Check the semi QH trees first.

My tank of a mare actually is a 'normal' fit and only requires a semi. My seemingly normal gelding needs the wide tree.

Go figure.

Sixxofdiamonds 06-24-2009 01:18 PM

I ride in a 17" english seat, but prefer a 16" western seat over a 15" seat. I'm not really sure why that is, though. I prefer my western saddle to have a bit more room.

luvs2ride1979 06-25-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamite. (Post 334060)
Comparing to an english saddle - what is the sizing like for western saddles? For instance, if I needed a 17" english saddle, would I need a 17" western saddle? And are full quarter horse bars the widest westerns saddle widths?
Thanks!

You would likely need a 15" seat western, though just like English saddles, Western saddles can fit differently depending on the seat type and padding.

Full QH bars are like an "XW" English saddle in most brands. There are draft trees, which are even wider and flatter.