The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   help!!! no more hair!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/help-no-more-hair-3023/)

Nita 08-20-2007 10:47 PM

help!!! no more hair!!!!

my one horse has got this habit of rubbing his tail and he has rubbed almost ALL the hair off!!!!!! i don't show him but he looks uncomfortable and i dunno what 2 do!!! i tried using a tail wrap... he rubbed it off!!! any ideas??

sweetypie16 08-20-2007 11:32 PM

Yeh my first pony done that, it was a mite cause she had very sensitive skin, you can buy some irretation spray for your horse. Also if you have a rug on your horse it should have a tail flap-yeh? Well that will help, cause he won't get it off as easy- oh yeh a tail bag might do to :wink: . I am also thinking it might be due to his nutrion, how long ago was he wormed? Horses infested with worms usually rub their tail on objects.
How long has he done it for?
Cheers :wink:

jpost 08-21-2007 03:23 PM

My horse did this too. I found that he had a sore in his tail. The manure was sticking a little to the underside of his tail and he rubbed his tail so much that a sore was created. First I washed his tail every day with a tar based shampoo (look in the pharmacy... Neutragena) . Then I used conditioner on it so it wouldn't dry out his skin and hair too much. Last but not least I used novalsan on the sore. The itching went away and the sore healed in about 2 weeks. No more tail rubbing but I have to frequently check under his tail to make sure it's clean. He lost a lot of his tail. 6 months later, I'm still waiting for it to come back. By the way, I tried the tail wrap at first too. It just made it worse by trapping in the moisture and heat.

Averona 08-21-2007 05:48 PM

Only 2 ideas: 1. To wash up to a horse under a tail 2. To use medicines against worms These are 2 principal causes why a horse so does

Nita 08-21-2007 06:17 PM

well we worm every spring and fall so it is about time to worm them again. i have no idea when he 1st started but i think he started rubbing off the hair about 2-3 weeks ago. i checked he doesn't have a sore but he does have a growth like thing on the right side of his tail. it is right next to it but i am pretty sure that has been there a while and anyway, the rubbing is about 1/3 of the way down his tail. so the tail flap doesn't work cause it is not that long. what irritation spray would you suggest??

jpost 08-21-2007 08:19 PM

My vet recommends you worm every other month (every 60 days) alternating between ivermectin and strongid. If you are opposed to this, have the vet test him for worms just to rule it out. Sounds like worms might be your problem.... Good luck.

brittx6x6 08-22-2007 09:39 PM

I'm with jpost on this one it sounds like worms could be the problem. My horse did this when we first got her so we wormed her and about a week later she quit rubbing her tail.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Flickergurl15 08-23-2007 11:39 PM

i was told that you worm about every 8 -10 weeks

El Gato 08-24-2007 05:47 AM

Re: help!!! no more hair!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nita
my one horse has got this habit of rubbing his tail and he has rubbed almost ALL the hair off!!!!!! i don't show him but he looks uncomfortable and i dunno what 2 do!!! i tried using a tail wrap... he rubbed it off!!! any ideas??

My horse always does the same thing in summer and I haven't found any way to stop him. But as soon as it gets cooler he stops doing that and his hair regrows.

Nita 08-24-2007 03:05 PM

well i went out and wormed him so hopefully that solves the problem :roll: