The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   issues mounting bareback... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/issues-mounting-bareback-30243/)

RiddlesDarkAngel5 06-23-2009 11:58 PM

issues mounting bareback...

hey everyone!

you guys are so good at giving advice, i figured i'd have you tackle one of my ongoing issues. I really like riding bareback sometimes. i feel like its good for me and Rocky. However, the issue of mounting always arises. I'm such a clutz trying to get on without stirrups to help me, even with a mounting block to help (kinda embarrassed admitting this). I can get on but its always sort of a clutch grab and scramble on which doesnt feel good for me or him. What can i do to get better at mounting bareback. I always see riders who can just vault onto their horse effortlessly, and i'd at least like to get the point where i can mount steadily without throwing Rocky off like i usually do at this point. Are there tips to help or exercises i can do?

smrobs 06-24-2009 12:27 PM

I would suggest that you just keep working on it and concentrate on trying to be fluid and graceful. It is hard for me too. I used to be one of those people who could just grab a handful of mane and swing up but I have gotten out of shape and out of practice so I have to use something to climb on now. If I try to wing up, I just end up kicking them in the flank :?. Other than that, I have no idea how to help.

Piper182 06-24-2009 12:54 PM

You have to lift weights and stuff if you want to jump on from the ground. It's all about upper body strength. Personally, I've always done the "leg over and slide hoping the horse doesn't move" or the "lay across the the horses back on my tummy and throw my leg over." I almost always use a mounting block but I'm only 5 feet tall.

It's hard to get on bareback, don't be ashamed.

Whipple 06-24-2009 01:33 PM

I would imagine the easiest way would just be to lay across his back from a mounting block, scooch forward a bit then shimmy your leg over.Haha, I get this image of break dance moves on a horse, lol.

rocky pony 06-24-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whipple (Post 334809)
I would imagine the easiest way would just be to lay across his back from a mounting block, scooch forward a bit then shimmy your leg over.Haha, I get this image of break dance moves on a horse, lol.

Hahaha I saw that same image!
I think what would be a good method, or to work on leg flexibility so that you can just lift your leg high enough to reach over the horse's back from the mounting block. I did a lot of bareback riding on my pony and since he was short I got on effortlessly that way. I can imagine that it would be the same with a horse and you would just need to be able to lift your leg up high enough. I'll have to see once I start riding my new guy more :D

barefoot 06-24-2009 05:49 PM

Upper body strength! If you don't use a mounting block just heave yourself up and put your stomach on his back and swing your leg around.

Sharpie 06-24-2009 05:56 PM

I do the jump so my tummy's over their back, then move my leg over and sit up. Pretty much the reverse of a stirrupless dismount. None of the horses I ride are short enough that 5'3" me can just stand on a block and just put my leg over.

What is this 'upper body strength' thing? How do you use your arms to help you get on? I would dearly love to know because I've got good upper body strength!! I mean, it's not like there are handles to pull yourself up with when riding bareback (that I know of anyhow).

RiddlesDarkAngel5 06-24-2009 06:00 PM

thanks everyone! i'll try the stomach thing and see if it works. i'm also going to try and improve my arm strength as well

Vidaloco 06-24-2009 06:24 PM

I very rarely ride bareback, my mare is narrow and uncomfortable. I do the throw your leg over and shimmy up :lol: I have a 3 step mounting block. I'm also 5'8 and she is 14.3 so its not to far to go. Just a tip...Wear really loose or stretchy pants. I can't do it in tight jeans :lol:

barefoot 06-24-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpie (Post 335011)
I do the jump so my tummy's over their back, then move my leg over and sit up. Pretty much the reverse of a stirrupless dismount. None of the horses I ride are short enough that 5'3" me can just stand on a block and just put my leg over.

What is this 'upper body strength' thing? How do you use your arms to help you get on? I would dearly love to know because I've got good upper body strength!! I mean, it's not like there are handles to pull yourself up with when riding bareback (that I know of anyhow).

Just how it sounds.. use your arms to pull you up. Put your hands on his back and push off the ground and pull yourself up.
I'm only 5'3 too by the way :)