The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Start my actual first lessons this tuesday, help or advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/start-my-actual-first-lessons-tuesday-30247/)

SRR90 06-24-2009 10:41 AM

Start my actual first lessons this tuesday, help or advice

So ive decided to break down and pay for lessons and i start next this tues. I havent been told what to wear, or what to expect and such yet. What advice or help can yall give me to help me relax b4 i start this new adventure

mls 06-24-2009 11:07 AM

What kind of lessons?

farmpony84 06-24-2009 11:14 AM

where a pair of comfortable jeans if you don't have any riding pants. Where a boot w/ a heel on it (not a high heel) and a helmet... and have fun!

goldilockz 06-24-2009 11:19 AM

Stay relaxed, and attentive. Even if it's something you feel you know, you can always always learn something new, so don't let your mind wander.

Wear comfortable but not baggy jeans, a comfy shirt that won't get in the way of your arms, and boots with a slight heel. If you don't have any, hiking boots are ok (not recommended though because the traction can prevent you from taking your foot out of the stirrup quickly if you need to). Sneakers are not recommended for the same reason.

Hmm. If you don't have a riding helmet, call the barn you're taking lessons at and ask if they provide helmets. Some do, some don't.

And have FUN!! Don't get stressed out if you can't do something perfectly right away. That's why you're there, to learn. Lessons are fun and you get out of them what you put into them, so keep a great attitude and smile and you'll have a blast :)

1dog3cats17rodents 06-24-2009 12:08 PM

Everyone's covered it, but I want to add don't wear a really baggy shirt. It makes it hard to see what your body looks like under the shirt

SRR90 06-24-2009 01:35 PM

I think im doing western. I do have a pair of those riding pants, SHould i use them?