The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dry dull mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dry-dull-mane-302505/)

MrsStinson89 10-27-2013 08:39 PM

Dry dull mane

My husbands horse's mane is pretty dry, breaking and dull. Is there a good conditioner or supplement that anyone would recommend?

Cynical25 10-29-2013 10:57 AM

A good diet, and a tooth check to make sure the horse can process said diet, is your first and best course of action.

But I swear by Healthy Haircare Moisturizer for a topical. It's a pink, liquid concentrate that you dilute with water in a spray bottle. I put it on manes & tails everytime I groom (focusing on rubbing it into the roots) and periodically on full bodies to keep everything soft and shiny. No drying silicones or alcohols, nor potential slippery saddle misshaps, like so many shine sprays (such as Show Sheen.)

Drifting 10-29-2013 12:27 PM

Cynical does it work as a nice entangler too?

MrsStinson89 10-29-2013 12:32 PM

Thank You!.

DraftyAiresMum 10-29-2013 12:32 PM

I've been told that adding fresh ground flaxseed to the horse's diet does wonders for mane/tail and coat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cynical25 10-29-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drifting (Post 3980658)
Cynical does it work as a nice entangler too?

Eh, not really. It absorbs into the hair to strengthen from inside out, whereas silicone-based detanglers coat the hair strands so they slip apart. So it's not really going to help knots unkink, but moisturized hair is less likely to knot up in the first place; after using it regularly, I find I have less knots to detangle.

rhosroyalvelvet 10-29-2013 02:05 PM

Linseed is good and also any oils or vitamen supplements copper helps too brighten their coats aswell :)

Deanie 10-29-2013 04:00 PM

There's something called Mane and Tail that is a very good conditioner for your horse. As already suggested, I'd be sure your horse has a healthy diet and teeth are sound.
Also, you might try a supplement, if necessary. The mane and tail should be soft and shiny.

PaintedMare 10-29-2013 10:10 PM

good diet plus vegetable oil or peanut oil added to their food. makes the entire coat shiny when given regularlly

princessfluffybritches 11-01-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deanie (Post 3981834)
There's something called Mane and Tail that is a very good conditioner for your horse. As already suggested, I'd be sure your horse has a healthy diet and teeth are sound.
Also, you might try a supplement, if necessary. The mane and tail should be soft and shiny.

I found with the mane and tail, it works best if you shampoo using their shampoo , then condition.