The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Not really sure if anything's wrong (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/not-really-sure-if-anythings-wrong-302529/)

princessfluffybritches 10-27-2013 08:12 PM

Not really sure if anything's wrong

I had my horse at home for 3 years. Didn't ride. So I moved to a nice barn 4 years ago. Everything was good. But BM said some nasty things to me one day and I got out of there. Just hurt my feelings bad after 4 years, and it was unprovoked. Horse was in a stall during the day and out at night (Florida)

Two months ago I moved . 24 hour pasture. The pasture is waaaaay back, and waay back to get my horse who's standing in the woods. It's a very long walk and sometimes I just don't feel like going to get her. Day one I asked her to not give my horse more than 2 cups of grain 2xday. She weaned her onto her feed in a week and was giving her a quart 2xday. They had to cut down because my horse was blimping out. And she ended up with quite a growth ring on her hooves.

However, I don't know why but I'm just not feeling like it's a good fit. I can't explain it. Call me wacky, but my horse doesn't have the sparkle in her eye. Her behavior and her "go!" have not changed. I don't think she likes being way back in a pasture with another horse, but no people around. I know I sound crazy.

Today I saw a place where there's a barn surrounded by 8 paddocks. The tack room is right next to the tack up spot. The horses are kindof in the midst of any activity. I feel like we'd do better there.

What do I say to the lady that owns the place I'm leaving? I can't say there's anything wrong. There's not. I just don't feel it's the place for me. Maybe I'd just be happier at a more structured environment. What do I say to her? They are nice people.

RandysWifey 10-27-2013 08:15 PM

Tell her the truth :) I'm sure there will be and have been worse things said to her. And any decent barn owner will know that every barn isnt for every person. Some people prefer show barns while others prefer a laid back atmosphere. Doesnt mean either is wrong or bad. I'm sure she'll understand if you're upfront with her :)

Northern 10-27-2013 08:36 PM

Pfb, you want to be at least Level 2 according to Parelli, right? :) Weeelll, in Level 2 you must start to solve your own horse issues; so trust your gut on this, & I'll support you in saying that I trust your gut when it says you want to move to the new place!

Hope to hear that you've moved horse & life is good again!

princessfluffybritches 10-27-2013 09:34 PM

Hey, thanks. RW is right, not every barn is for every person.

Northern, I think my gut's been telling me this since the first week. I think my horse is sensing it too.

Saranda 10-28-2013 05:44 AM

I used to board my horse at a place which was objectively just great - tending to his natural needs, wonderful in general. But something seemed amiss and I finally listened to my gut and moved (among other reasons, but this was one of the main). Since then he's been so full of spunk and sparkle I had never seen him before, so I encourage you to listen to your gut as well!

princessfluffybritches 10-28-2013 11:59 AM

Saranda, yes, that's just how I feel. Are you really in Latvia?

cebee 10-28-2013 12:40 PM

Sounds like YOU may not feel like the barn is a good fit.. maybe YOU need more socialization as well. And that is absolutely a reason to move barns. If YOU arent enjoying it, and your horse isnt... time to move!
Was at a barn that worked for my horses... they were pastured together ( just the 2 of them..) and the care was good... but I just did not fit in with most of the others. They were a hard drinking kind of group- lol... I tried to fit in, really I did. But did not realize how much i did NOT till I changed barns ( totally unrelated reasons... ) Am at a barn where the people are more MY type.
What I am saying is maybe YOU are unhappy and it is rubbing off on your horse..or how you THINK your horse is feeling. But if something is not a good fit, move.

princessfluffybritches 10-28-2013 06:49 PM

I stopped by both places today and will move tomorrow morning. I told both owners that they are fantastic, but I was looking for something a little different with boarding. The place I'm leaving said I'm always welcome to come back.

And I think I have more in common with the people at the new place.

Saranda 10-28-2013 07:10 PM

Good luck with the move!
And yes, I'm from Latvia.

princessfluffybritches 10-29-2013 03:45 PM

I moved my horse today. I went an hour earlier to chat with a friend at the place we were leaving. The BO came out and chatted. Everything went well. This small town here where my horse is at is like Peyton Place . Everyone knows everyone, like the barn owners, managers, trainers, boarders. It's like musical chairs sometimes, and they are always swapping horses to get a compatible horse for their boarders.

My horse got there and was not upset. Then she went in with a mare that chased her around, LOL. Some squeals. I think she was okay with this place. I could sit at a table and clean my tack where she could see me. That's nice.