The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   From riding horse to... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/riding-horse-30271/)

MA01 06-24-2009 05:15 PM

From riding horse to...
 
Hello Everyone:-)
So, I'm not really an expert when it comes to horses, and I was wondering something.
When it comes to that time when I want/am able to buy horses, I want a group of horses grassing on a large area, where I'll then take them in for the night and then out again in the morning.
But my question for you guys is, is it okay to buy a good riding horse for those purposes?
I mean i could lounge the horses a couple of times a week so they'll get some exercise as well, and maybe let them pull a wagon.
And I don't know if those owners of the horses will let me buy their horse either, if it's a good ridig horse too, for only those purposes.
So is it okay?
Thanks,
From MA01.

PS; You don't entirely dry your horse when bathing it, do you?

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-24-2009 05:22 PM

This is something I would love to do one day, too. I'm hoping to take in older, retired horses and just let them relax and love the rest of their life in the pasture. Them, or horses who maybe have a leg injury and cannot be ridden/ridden hard.
As for dying a horse.... no. I use a sweat scraper to get excess water off. It's like a squeegee =} http://www.countrysupplies.com/pix/1...cts/1668-m.jpg
Some people prefer to keep them tied until they dry. Many horses go straight for a roll in the dirt after a bath.... keeps the flies from biting. lol

MA01 06-24-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackInTheSaddleAgain (Post 335024)
This is something I would love to do one day, too. I'm hoping to take in older, retired horses and just let them relax and love the rest of their life in the pasture. Them, or horses who maybe have a leg injury and cannot be ridden/ridden hard.
As for dying a horse.... no. I use a sweat scraper to get excess water off. It's like a squeegee =} http://www.countrysupplies.com/pix/1...cts/1668-m.jpg
Some people prefer to keep them tied until they dry. Many horses go straight for a roll in the dirt after a bath.... keeps the flies from biting. lol


Thanks alot for your reply!:D
But do you think it's also okay if its young and healthy riding horses too?

And another question :lol:;
Is it possible to have mares and stallions to grass in the same group? Or do the stallions have to be in their own grass area?

Vidaloco 06-24-2009 05:34 PM

Do you mean to take a good riding horse and retire it? Or use it occasionally?
Its better to keep a horse in the habit of being ridden or driven. They can sort of lose their manners if they aren't ridden regularly. The younger the horse the more often it needs to be worked. They have shorter memory's for their training.
I can go a few months without riding my mare, but she will need more correcting then if I was riding her everyday.
As for the bath, I wait until they are at least dry across the back and rump. They do like to roll in the dirt and the wetness will turn to mud :lol:

ETA- Mares and stallions must be separated unless you plan to pasture breed them

MA01 06-24-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 335029)
Do you mean to take a good riding horse and retire it? Or use it occasionally?
Its better to keep a horse in the habit of being ridden or driven. They can sort of lose their manners if they aren't ridden regularly. The younger the horse the more often it needs to be worked. They have shorter memory's for their training.
I can go a few months without riding my mare, but she will need more correcting then if I was riding her everyday.
As for the bath, I wait until they are at least dry across the back and rump. They do like to roll in the dirt and the wetness will turn to mud :lol:

Well, I guess you could call it to retire it. Because I wont be riding them but I'll lounge them though. And maybe, just maybe let them pull a wagon.
But it isn't enough to lounge them or?

Vidaloco 06-24-2009 05:39 PM

Sure if you want to just let them eat grass all day and enjoy their life thats great. Its if you want to ride or work them you need to do it regularly.

Vidaloco 06-24-2009 05:40 PM

Sorry to DP...Do you mean to lunge or long line them? I took it as lounge or rest, sorry

MA01 06-24-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 335033)
Sure if you want to just let them eat grass all day and enjoy their life thats great. Its if you want to ride or work them you need to do it regularly.

Okay thanks :-) But will they get more difficult to handle, when i'm not working that much with them besides lounging?

MA01 06-24-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 335035)
Sorry to DP...Do you mean to lunge or long line them? I took it as lounge or rest, sorry

Oh I'm sorry! It was my fault haha. I ment to lunge them, atleast thats what i think its called in english. Where you have them in a line and make them ride around you. :)

Vidaloco 06-24-2009 05:49 PM

No problem :D Yes its a lunge line. I think if they are worked regularly on a lunge line for direction and manners I think they will be fine. Young horses are usually not lunged for long periods, so bear that in mind. Until a horse is over 4-5 years old the leg bones are not fully matured.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0