The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Equines (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/)
-   -   Who rugs their Donkey? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/who-rugs-their-donkey-302746/)

Garvie 10-28-2013 06:13 AM

Who rugs their Donkey?

does anyone rug their donkeys in the winter? or are hey quite happy with a field shelter?

littrella 10-28-2013 07:11 AM

I do not blanket mine. They come running for their barn if the weather is bad.

Garvie 10-28-2013 08:25 AM

ours would rather stand out in the field in the rain and snow than be in there stable, if i was them i would be in my nice cosy straw filled stable, am just worried they get rain scald

Yogiwick 10-28-2013 03:51 PM

Dumb question.. I've never heard of rugging a donkey. Do they make donkey rugs or do you just buy pony size and hope it fits?

TessaMay 10-28-2013 04:59 PM

It's not a dumb question, the donkey I grew up next door to was rugged in the winter. I'm sure there are a lot of show donkeys that get rugged religiously and if they are shaved or their coat kept short, they may need it. Most donkeys will winter just fine without a blanket of any kind, but so would most horses if they are allowed to grow a proper winter coat.

Garvie 10-28-2013 05:05 PM

my friend rugs her donkey every winter which made me think about rugging these two but they did seem to be ok, and yogiwick you do get donkey rugs there are a few people that make them but small pony rugs also fit

Yogiwick 10-28-2013 10:30 PM

Hmm interesting. I get it, I've just never heard of it :)

Shropshirerosie 10-28-2013 10:38 PM

Here in Alberta where it is super cold, but dry, I don't rug mine.

If I was in Scotland, coldish and ridiculously wet, I would consider rugging if they didn't have easy access to a good sized field shelter.

Garvie 10-29-2013 04:08 AM

they have the old farm stable but choose to stand out in the rain, they are not the brightest of bunnies, i will keep an on them and see how they cope, do wish we had winters like you shropshirerosie would make thinks so much easier haha nothing worse than being wet and cold :)

Shropshirerosie 10-29-2013 11:35 PM

Yes, I so enjoy the lack of damp here! We have the occasional wet spell in the spring time and then I worry about mine. He gets booted out of the field shelter by the horses. However - there is also plenty of tree shelter and he never leaves the herd to go keep dry elsewhere.

The view I take is that if he starts to look miserable I will take action (rugging, or a good stern talking to about the need to stay dry). He never has needed that yet.

I guess you could start to shut them in the stable when the weather just keeps on soaking them - but is suspect that would probably make you feel better rather than them!