The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Adding Weight? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/adding-weight-30301/)

ChingazMyBoy 06-25-2009 04:32 AM

Adding Weight?

Hey,

I was just wondering what type of extra food can I give to Chinga to put some more weight on him without the extra energy a little bit more energy is fine but not major ammounts of energy. It would be great if someone could let me know tonight as I am going to the food store tommorow to get more food. At the moment he eats an 8 leter bucket containing loosen, chaft, pony pelets and corn. Plus one biscute of hay. This is given to him morning and night.

Scoutrider 06-25-2009 07:41 AM

If what you're calling a biscuit of hay is the same as what I call a flake of hay, your horse can definitely have more hay, especially if he isn't turned out. Ours get free choice hay and keep weight really well. High quality hay is best, I've seen horses with free choice poor hay that looked really skinny absoultely bloom on a better quality forage. I've heard that beet pulp is good for adding weight, but I've never tried it myself. I lace my boy's feed with a few tablespoons of corn oil for added fat after the free choice hay.

Peggysue 06-25-2009 08:59 AM

Free choice hay is always the first thing I recommend that and high quality nutrition

QHDragon 06-25-2009 02:19 PM

I can't wait to get Rocket out on grass, hopefully that will help his weight, he has the same hard keeping TB problem.

I would agree that yours could get some more hay if one biscuit is the same as one flake. Between the two horses in his little area I think they get four flakes of hay and then Rocket gets two scopes of grain a day.

luvs2ride1979 06-25-2009 03:45 PM

Check out page 2 of this article. It has some good information on Skinny horses.
MyHorse.com - Let Your Horse Eat Hay

To put weight on mine, I give free choice bermuda hay, 2-3 lbs of alfalfa pellets, and 1 cup of milled flax. Once up to a good weight, you can cut back on the AP and cut the flax down to 1/2 cup. I don't feed any grain or other weight gain supplements, just a vitamin supplement.

ChingazMyBoy 06-25-2009 05:13 PM

Chinga gets this twice a day and it is the highest quality hay you can get. There is just him in the paddock and he has a huge ammount of grass in his paddock. Thanks for the artical. I will talk to mum about giving him more hay.

luvs2ride1979 06-25-2009 05:29 PM

You can look into chaffe or hay pellets. I'd also add some fat to his diet.