The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Another Selena video, winning barrels! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/another-selena-video-winning-barrels-303050/)

SorrelHorse 10-28-2013 04:39 PM

Another Selena video, winning barrels!

Oh man was it an ugly run...lol!

Things were just bad. I don't even know what happened to the first. I just blanked out or something and we got by. Second was good, but then I got to the third and had been using my whip and my hands got all jumbled and in my rush I accidentally put more outside rein than inside rein (Neck reining) and she just blew by.

I got super happy with her at the end though because I KNEW we had won when they announced the time...It was a small local thing and the couple of really good riders had already ran!

I know, I know, "Shut up Michaela, we come for Selena, not your rambling." :lol: :lol:

Here she is!

And yes, miss princess is getting a gate problem which got progressively better throughout the day. lol. She was just in a foul mood.

xJumperx 10-28-2013 05:01 PM

That is amazing!! I love watching the barrel racers, and y'all killed it!!

beau159 10-28-2013 05:42 PM

I like this video MUCH better because you two picked up the pace!! :-) Your second barrel was absolutely perfect. First barrel you went in a bit wide, and you obviously already know what happened on the third barrel.

With Selena and her small size and quick feet, I think you need to make your strategy to HUG those barrel turns tight. That is where you are going to make up your time against the big horses.

For example, look at how tight Christy Loflin sends her horse Movin into the barrel turn. I believe Movin is about 14.2 hands. Aim for that pocket with Selena!!

Remember to LOOK for home with your body position on that third barrel as well.

Looking good! Congrats on the win.

SorrelHorse 10-29-2013 01:59 AM

Thanks girly!

I've been giving her a bigger pocket, since she's been hitting things. Though that first barrel just tends to get too wide...I need to push her deeper instead of wider...lol. She's a quick little sucker, that's for sure, and in this arena she tend to try a little harder since it's bigger. She likes to have room and space.

Oh man, when we were trying to get in the gate right before the camera started, Selena was totally ready to walk right in and then this one gal and her massive horse parked themselves RIGHT in the way. She just kept looking at me judgmentally, and naturally Selena stopped right next to her horse. Ugh. I was like "What? Never seen a horse with gate issues before? Get out of the way!"

And when I went to run poles the gate lady would NOT get the gate closed. I stood there and waited, and waited, and finally I had to tell her to shut the gate. I had to explain she did NOT want to be run over by a pony....lol. It was an interesting day.

beau159 10-29-2013 09:23 AM

Yes, deeper instead of wider! You got it. Think of it as going in tight, rollback, and then head for your next barrel. She's quick and she's got her reining background; she can do it.

Yes ol' Beau developed a small gate issue. If I tried to rush him, he would balk. I literally had to let him walk painstakingly slow into the arena to keep him from freezing up when we couldn't do a running start. I took a little "technique" on my part. He much preferred to just blast on in there, but of course rules are rules at some of the shows.

pbeebs 10-29-2013 10:11 AM

ow ow...Nice, she is small but mighty. Hope I can get Cash running like that eventually!

SorrelHorse 10-29-2013 12:32 PM

She's a little monster once she gets going...I can't wait until we get to run again!

MangoRoX87 11-08-2013 09:55 PM

That woman in the back ground XDD speaking jibberish!!!

waresbear 11-08-2013 09:58 PM

You two are little speed demons.

SorrelHorse 11-09-2013 01:29 AM

Lol! That's my bestest friend and #1 fan Desiree, lol. She's super spastic but I love her!

Thanks Wares, Selena is super little but she likes to think she can run like the big horses. I unsaddled her and walked her to the awards ceremony after the day was done and the gate lady goes, "Holy cow, this isn't the horse you were running all day is it? She looks smaller without the saddle!" :lol: :lol: