The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   give me your opinion on my horses weight. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/give-me-your-opinion-my-horses-30312/)

nldiaz66 06-25-2009 09:38 AM

give me your opinion on my horses weight.

3 Attachment(s)
I have a rescue horse I'm trying to put weight on, so here are the pics first one is when the rescue shelter rescued him and second one from when I first got him(in april) and last pic is 6-24-09. let me know what ya'll think, he is a 20-/+ yr.old.I think he's come along way..

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-25-2009 09:42 AM

WOAH! Oh, yeah. He's looking great!!!!!!!!! And at that age and short amount of time? **applauds**

White Foot 06-25-2009 09:43 AM

He looks really good! His backbone is still in sight though, what I've found is the older they are the harder it is to cover that dang this up. Labre put on weight great this summer but her back bone still stuck out.

AussieDaisyGirl 06-25-2009 10:08 AM

What are you feeding him??? I think I need to put Carolina on that.

nldiaz66 06-25-2009 10:18 AM

when I first got him I had him on just a 12% grain,(didnt change him to senior in the beginning because he had other issues, long story) in May I changed his feed to Purina Equine Senior he gets 1 scoop and 1 scoop 12% grain with 2lbs. of calf manna 2x's a days 24/7 hay,but when the Calf Manna is gone I wont buy anymore(dont think he needs it anymore) he gets a flake of alfafia at each feeding.He is putting on weight slowly, thats what I wanted, didnt want him to founder or any other problems.Even though the second pic is not that good, when I got him you could clearly see his spine it stuck up about 2 in. So he is doing good running more and playing with others.

kitten_Val 06-25-2009 10:25 AM

He looks great! Perfect example that old horse can be rehab and look as beautiful as 5 year old!

racer179 06-25-2009 11:05 AM

wow! he has come a long way. I know when i rescued my horse he was in way worse shape than that. the owner told us he was only 20yrs/old but it turned out he was 29! and than he died, two years ago, and i only had him for a year. :(

G and K's Mom 06-25-2009 12:29 PM

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!! Your almost at the point of just maintaining, don't want him too chunky it's harder on those older joints.

Angel_Leaguer 06-25-2009 12:33 PM

Great job!!! He was one sad looking guy a couple months ago and now he looks awsome!!!

QHDragon 06-25-2009 02:23 PM

Wow wow wow! Lots of kudos and carrots to you! Your horse looks amazing, especially to gain all that weight back so well at his age. He got super lucky that you got him.

This just goes to show that those people say "my horse is skinny because he's old" or whatever are just full of hot air. An older horse doesn't mean a skinny horse.