The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   What to do when you can't find a farrier... (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/what-do-when-you-cant-find-303218/)

teamfire 10-29-2013 02:03 AM

What to do when you can't find a farrier...

Things were so much easier before when I knew nothing.

I can't find a single farrier that will do a proper trimming job. Found a few nearby names but no, won't go to my city. I'm new to the horse world so I don't have a lot of connections...

So frustrating. I thought my horse's bodyworker, who is AMAZING at that, would have a couple good names... nope. Is it really so impossible here?

I think I may have to learn to trim myself, but I'm terrified. I'd honestly pay someone extra to travel further, but there's no one I can find. It's so frustrating I get near tears thinking about it.

But preparing myself... if I were to start to learn... how do I start? I know nothing. I know enough to say something's wrong but not much more than that... UGHHH.

Clava 10-29-2013 07:24 AM

Can you work your horse? Can you take him over rough terrain and roads? My horses need almost no trimming as they are regularly worked on roads and grow enough hoof to keep up with the work load, this could help you keep on top of things until you can find help. Education is everything and you will need to learn about diet as much as trim and movement, but I would never advocate a complete novice doing their own trimming but with help it is something you could learn (if you need to). Horses can do a lot of the hoof balancing themselves if given the chance and the correct diet and movement.

SEAmom 10-29-2013 08:09 AM

One of the easiest ways to get names and opinions is to find a local Facebook group and pose the question.
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 10-29-2013 08:30 AM

Do you have a trailer? You might be able to make arrangements to meet a farrier somewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 10-29-2013 08:43 AM

Ask your vet, they usually will have a farrier list.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patty Stiller 10-29-2013 12:17 PM

How bad is the available work? (pictures of a fresh trim would help evaluate this) Is it just a little off so that you can make adjustments yourself with a rasp?

What part of the county are you in? ( PM me if you want) Often there are very good farriers or trimmers available that a horse owner may not even know about but need the right referral list to find them .

~*~anebel~*~ 10-29-2013 01:07 PM

If you can find more people, more farriers will be interested.

I got my guys # from a very good farrier with no room on his client list and who didn't travel. My vets suggestion for a farrier left much to be desired, but at least she occasionally listened to him (better than most).

Good luck! And until then I would try to ride over some differing terrain to keep the feet worn a little
Posted via Mobile Device

Viranh 10-29-2013 03:24 PM

This is so frustrating. I was literally in tears trying to find anyone who could do a decent job on my laminitic mare since I don't shoe. It's also one of the reasons I trim myself. I trailered to St. Louis to get her first shoes, then found someone local when I had more time. I'm going to be very happy when she's back out of shoes.

If you just need regular trimming, it really isn't that hard to learn to do, particularly if you trim small amounts often. Try Bare Foot Horse

There are lots of knowledgeable people on here that could critique your trim and help you learn if you post good pics, too.

princessfluffybritches 10-29-2013 03:30 PM

It's always going to be hit or miss. You can't know their good unless you like the way they do your horse. You may want to look at the bulletin boards at feed or tack stores. Or pull in to a few barns or boarding stables and see who others have.

Viranh 10-29-2013 03:38 PM

I called a lot of different barns and vet clinics when I was looking for a traditional farrier. I think that is a good place to start. Around here, everywhere I called told me who NOT to use, but didn't have positive suggestions. :s I would think this normally would yield at least one good farrier.