The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Potential buy: Friesian Sport Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/potential-buy-friesian-sport-horse-30333/)

AussieDaisyGirl 06-25-2009 03:57 PM

Potential buy: Friesian Sport Horse

Can you look at this 2 year old filly and let me know what you think? I'm told she'll be a high level eventer. I'm going to go look at her Sunday.

This is the pictures:
http://www.elysiumfarm.com/foals/Kacina.html

And the video

goldilockz 06-25-2009 04:19 PM

Gorgeous! I love the "highlights" in the mane and tail :lol:

reining girl 06-25-2009 04:35 PM

gorgeous looking girl, im a western girl so i dont much about the fresians, but she is a looker. How much are they asking for her? She needs some manners work, the lady was kinda nervous looking leading her and taking her halter off, at least to me she looked nervous.

AussieDaisyGirl 06-25-2009 05:32 PM

Yeh I wondered about that because the lady I spoke to today - the breeder - said she handles the babies from birth. So I don't know. I do know that the lady in the video isn't the breeder/owner. If that means anything but yeh some manners for sure.

She's Friesian x Quarterhorse.

AussieDaisyGirl 06-25-2009 05:36 PM

They're asking $6900. It's a bit high in this economy for an unproven horse but the sire is proven. So - I don't know. She's "potentially" going to be at the level I want to be at but I need a lot more opinions to be sure.

Chickerdoodle13 06-25-2009 05:58 PM

She's a beautiful horse, but I think for that price, you could probably find something trained or at least with some saddle time. She definitely needs a lot of "manner" training, but with the right person that could come easy. However, if you haven't dealt with a young horse before, you may need to pay a trainer to help you out. Also, unless you are planning on training her yourself, you will have to put out more money on top of the $6,900 for professional training.

Conformation wise, she looks like a beautiful horse! I guess what it will really comes down to is whether you want to spend that sort of money and whether or not you'll be able to get a mature, trained or started horse for the money you'd be putting into this girl. In my honest opinion, nealy $7000 is a lot to spend for a two year old crossbred horse, but if it seems to have a lot of potential, I'm sure there are people out there willing to spend the money.

AussieDaisyGirl 06-25-2009 06:09 PM

Yeh - I truly think that's a lot of money to put out for an unstarted horse

Solon 06-25-2009 06:11 PM

You can find a nicer horse for a lot less money! They are putting the value of her based on the Friesian part of her breed and the cross isn't that great.

zwarte 06-26-2009 11:00 AM

Her website is down right now, but I think that Anneke's Friesians had some young friesians for about that much money - and they were FHANA full friesians.

Worth checking on.

HalfPass 06-26-2009 11:23 AM

Hey there,
I agree with the others. I think you could find a horse that is just as good looking that has already been started. Being the horse is only two mean some waiting to make sure everything in the joints etc. are ready for working.
She is a beautiful Friesian!
There is a Friesian at my barn....Black Big and Beautiful.
I watched him show in his first dressage show a few weeks ago and he is a nice mover as well but his is very very big and bulky. I thinkk this filly is going to grow a lot more and the maners thing is always an issue with a younger horse. The horse at my barn did take a first in his division I believe it was training level one. One thing the judge commented on was the slower movement of this big horse and that he needed more impulsion. (this could just be pertinent for this particular horse) For eventing you just never know....some horses love it and some just dont
I would continue to look around more and keep all your options open...
HP