The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How do I get started? What should I know? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-do-i-get-started-what-30339/)

OpaqueDiamond12 06-25-2009 04:45 PM

How do I get started? What should I know?

I've owned horses and worked with them practically my whole life. A few years ago I rescued a Percheron x Clydesdale mare from slaughter. I found such great pleasure in rescuing and rehabilitating my mare that I began researching horse rescues across the USA. I'm interested in starting up my own horse rescue sanctuary in the next few years. I have some acreage of my own put aside with a farmhouse on-site. Currently I have about 36 acres. How can I get started, and what ought I know? Also, what sort of responsibilities are involved, and what would a typical day look like?

Any light you can shed on this subject would be great, thanks!

White Foot 06-25-2009 04:49 PM

Before you even think about purchasing a new horse I would suggest getting all your supplies together. Fence, barn, health, vet, feet, brushes, food extra.. and then put aside an emergency fund.

A typical day for me with just two horses is waking up at 5:30

AM feed
After that I take them both out to pasture
AM mucking out.

Bring them both in to brush them, pick out their feet.
Put them in their stalls.
Brign out Gunther for his daily ride.

PM feed
PM turn out
PM mucking out

Bring them back in, brush, pick out their feet

Thats just two horses, think about the $$$ it will cost to keep more.
It's a great thing your trying to do but alot of people don't know what they're getting into before they are already in too deep.

White Foot 06-25-2009 04:51 PM

You will need to get in contact with a vet, farrier and dentist to keep UTD on all the shots, feet trimming and/or shoes and teeth floating. Then money for hay, grain, medicine (you will probably need alot if your rescuing).
I find it really hard to keep up on expenses for just two horses.

Whipple 06-25-2009 05:20 PM

If you want to rescue, and it's just going to be you (which it will be in the beginning) do not expect to rely on volunteers or run off donations. You will be doing this out of pocket. Can you afford to take in a rehabilitate 1, 2 or 3 more? Will you know which horse to rescue? Should you take the one that needs a ton of work but could be amazing in the end. Or the one that will take minimal work but will be an average horse in the end.
Paperwork? Lawyers? Vets? Farriers? Will you train/retrain horses, or are you going to hire a trainer?

I would highly suggest volunteering at a rescue and find out what the ins and outs of running a rescue are. Its not all rainbows and sunshine. You will be responsible for the lives of horses that you will not be able to keep. You will need MORE of everything. Not just money. More time, more patience, ect. You will need to learn how to be a sales person, to get donations. There is tons to think about.

But you have to start somewhere.

Solon 06-25-2009 05:24 PM

You'd be better off to volunteer for a while at a rescue to see exactly what is invovled. Too many rescues rely on donations and when they stop coming in get themselves into trouble trying to buy feed for the horses.