The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse was colicing at the ranch today. ???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-colicing-ranch-today-30345/)

HalfPass 06-25-2009 06:04 PM

Horse was colicing at the ranch today. ????

Okay maybe I am old school but today I went out to my horse and the vet was there with another horse who was put into a pen that was all green grass. I did not know what the horses reason in being there was and the vet basically just said hi and asked how my horses feet were and that was the extent of the convo.

So I worked my horse for a while and was letting him cool down and graze on some grass a ways away from this other horse...

I see the horse laying down and I was on the phone with my dad. I told him I had to go because the horse was laying down it it just did not look right.

So I walked my horse back to his paddock and shelter which is across from this other horse...
I clucked to him but could clearly hear his guts inside having issue. I clucked and talked to him and he had a really hard time but did get up.

I put my horse away and watched the horses behavor. He was clearly biteing his sides and trying to go down then he would walk in circles and then try again to go down.

At that point I went to fetch someone and let them know he - it she...was having a lot of trouble.

Now one of the ladies said .."it is okay if he lays down as long as he does not roll. Well I thought and let me know if i am wrong here
It would be best to try and keep the horse up and moving and not let the horse go down or eat green grass.

Is there something i am missing here. Now it did not seem as though it was a reall severe case at that moment, but I will say I have not had a horse n my own personal possesion and care for a long while...
i am sure that since the vet was there that it was already known about but am I worng to thnk that the horse should be in a place where it could be watched very very closely and not in a grassy green paddock ou in the 92 degree weather with just a small bucket of water...????

At least I was able to recognose the symptoms and tell someone the horse was down and then I got him up but he was down again as soon as I walked away...
I am confused...
Tell me what you all think.. If thiis was my horse I would want him in a cooler area with no food and be keeping a watchful eye!! I would be walking him before it got to the point that he laid down and could not get up or rolled and had his guts all twisted up... Is the wrong way to deal with it or just it hust kind of depend from case to case??
Half Pass
please excuse my spelling errors

Solon 06-25-2009 06:08 PM

Different vets have different views on colic treatment. My vet doesn't want horses to be walked, some do. My vet says no food, some say a little is okay. If the vet was there and had it handled I'd leave it at that.

Tonkasmum 06-25-2009 06:24 PM

Just my experience here (I'm by no means a vet!):

In the event of colic, movement is the key. Movement for horses is very important to help move food along in the gut. So, in the event of something getting stuck - be it food or a nice, big gas bubble, walking helps move it along. Or, what I know someone else around here does that seems to work like a trick to get the bowels moving... she puts the horse on a trailer! Almost on cue, they start pooping!

If the horse is comfortable enough to have an appetite and eat grass, then I wouldn't think he's feeling too horrible, so I wouldn't worry too much about what he's walking on.

Solon 06-25-2009 06:28 PM

My vet has the opposite approach on moving. He'd rather you keep them still and quiet. Especially gas colics which he said are very painful for a horse.

Peggysue 06-25-2009 07:10 PM

the new "studies" say to let them lay as long as they are quiet

if you have a belly ache do you wanna move??

Solon 06-25-2009 07:13 PM

That's exactly how my vet explained it to me. When your stomach is upset do you want to be up and moving about. No way!

Ryle 06-25-2009 07:15 PM

Yes, if a horse is down but not thrashing about he can be allowed to lay there. Walking can be helpful to either keep a horse from hurting itself by thrashing about or to help stimulate gut motility to help move things through. However, walking shouldn't be over done because wearing the horse out or dehydrating the horse will only make matters worse.

"Walking horses for short periods of time (15 - 30 min) can help eliminate mild gas discomfort. Excessive walking is contraindicated worsening dehydration and exhausting the horse."--2003 AAEP Proceedings

HalfPass 06-25-2009 07:36 PM

Thanks everyone.
I basically just did my part by informing the barn owners about the horses activities and left it at that.
I am the type of person who notices lots of things when it comes to horses. I look around and try to be aware of my surrounding etc.

I have to say I have had some people that are really nice and talk with me and then there are the other's wh make the sinde like comments that I really do not appreciate.
Not sure if they are just trying to "feel me out" a bit and see if I am savoy about horse or if they flat out are just that "way",

Whatever...I just do what I gotta do and then report what I see because you just never know when it comes to livestock!!!
It was very very hot today and i felt bad the poor horse was out in an area where there was not a lick of shade...No shelter in that particular paddock.
Thanks again for all the info...
I forget about different strokes for different folks sometimes..
Hopefuly the horse will get through the colic and come out on the otherside and be better soon.
Thanks for the responses...
HP

countrygirl88 06-25-2009 09:45 PM

I agree that different vets have different perspectives. Our vets take is that most of the time the horse can work out a kink naturally so let them roll a little as long as they have the ability to get up. We also dissolve about 10 gasex pills(depending on weight) in water and give it orally.

HalfPass 06-26-2009 11:10 AM

Hey all.
A lot of things have changed since I have had a horse in my care. I do agree if they are not thrashing about to let them be but this guy was clearly having issues and was for sure better when someone was near.
I won't be going out there today...my horses day off to be in pasture....

I hope the colic case was not that severe...Id say maybe mid-range in severity if not watched.
That was thing that just struck me so much about the situation....becasue the horse was not in a place where anyone could really see him.
Thanks for all the info. If it was my horse I would have followed the vets direction and just astayed with my horse but this is not always possible when your working so i understand when an owner can not be there...
HP