The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   BOSS or Flax (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/boss-flax-30348/)

stacieandtheboys 06-25-2009 07:30 PM

BOSS or Flax

I was thinking about adding BOSS or Flax to my horses diet. Right now they get free choice hay 24/7 (round bale) 1/2 flake alfalfa each 1xday and horsemans edge 12:6 (little luci lactating mare 2 lbs day. Lucy 2 lbs day and Hank 6 lbs/day : I feed twice a day)

I have been reading that BOSS contains omega 6 and it seems that they are getting that from the hay correct? Flax contains omega 3 which they do not get because there is no grass (hence the round bale). I would love to add something inexpensive that improves coat but want to make sure they are getting what they need.

If flax is the way to go where do I get it and how much do I feed?

luvs2ride1979 06-25-2009 09:02 PM

Flax has more Omega 3 than BOSS and is safer to feed, IMO. You can feed whole flax from the feed store. It's cheaper that way. Feed 1/4-1 cup a day. You don't need to grind it, just feed it whole. For coat improvement, 1/4 to 1/2 cup should be fine. If they gain wait, cut back.

White Foot 06-26-2009 12:05 AM

I personally would never feed a horse round bales. It's full of things they don't need or won't get and it's full of mold, fungus and dust.

stacieandtheboys 06-26-2009 12:12 AM

I feed horse quality round bales not crappy cow hay and they don't sit with 4 horses on them. They go through 1 every 2 weeks. We don't get a lot of rain, it isnt humid and so it is the best choice for us because we have no grazing pasture. Plus I live in west Texas there is nothing but dust here so even if there were some in the bale they would get more from the dust in the air.

Thanks luvs2ride I will see if my feed store carrier flax.

White Foot 06-26-2009 12:18 AM

I wish we had roundbales like that. xD

We're in the process of trying to make grass grow in out pasture.

luvs2ride1979 06-26-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equestriun (Post 336135)
I personally would never feed a horse round bales. It's full of things they don't need or won't get and it's full of mold, fungus and dust.

Maybe some you have seen, but many hay producers put out quality round bales. You have to ask for HORSE HAY round bales that are net wrapped and stored in a barn, or fresh out of the field. Round bales that fit this description are just as good as a square bale, and much more economical.