The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What Breed(s) is She? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-breed-s-she-30357/)

Jake and Dai 06-25-2009 07:54 PM

What Breed(s) is She?

2 Attachment(s)
This is my girl...pretty Dai. I've had her about 2 years and unfortunately, never asked her former owner about her breeding (she is a grade mare) because I fell in love with her big soft eye. :) She's my trail companion and backyard pet and perfect for what I want. But now I'm wondering out of sheer curiousity...what breed(s) she may have in her? Does anyone want to venture a guess? For some reason her head and withers say there's some thoroughbred in there but I'm not very good at this. LOL

And do they do DNA testing on horses like they now have for dogs that tell what breeds make up their mix?

Here are some pics...no critique please...I know she's not perfect but she's perfect for me! Thanks!

Scoutrider 06-25-2009 08:20 PM

Definitely some paint or pinto, lol :wink:. I love the sturdy legs! How tall is she? The thickness in the legs can be either some kind of large pony or draft blood, her height could tell more specifically whether draft or pony. The length through her head kinda makes me think draft blood, too. Mustangs can be pretty sturdy, too. I really don't see thoroughbred, but different pics show different things, and it's hard to tell much from pics alone. I can't really be sure, just throwing suggestions out there. She's a pretty gal!

I've never heard of DNA typing horses, but it may be worth the research...

Jake and Dai 06-25-2009 08:25 PM

Thanks Scoutrider... :) I was told she was a draft cross but wasn't sure I believed it because I'm really clueless when it comes to breeds. She's 20 yrs old and just shy of 16'2 which is a good thing...I'm 6' tall and actually think I look big on her! LOL

Compared to my guy Jake (in my avatar) she's a petite lil' thing with skinny legs! :D

Angel_Leaguer 06-25-2009 08:30 PM

She looks like a melting pot of breeds!!!! Maybe some draft with paint... but I dont think it is 50/50. She is a really pretty girl- glad to hear she is perfect for ya :)

ivorygold1195 06-25-2009 09:52 PM

i have no clue waht she is but shes GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

rosie9r 06-25-2009 10:58 PM

I say draft/quarter cross :) She looks similar to a draft cross at my old stable. Same feet hehe.

DakotaLuv 06-25-2009 11:01 PM

Possibly percheron/paint cross? She's definately got some draft blood in there.

Jillyann 06-25-2009 11:57 PM

So pretty!

eventerwannabe 06-26-2009 07:09 PM

Im guessing a draft/paint maybe Thoughbred cross. So pretty though!

whitetrashwarmblood 06-27-2009 12:54 AM

I'm 99.9% sure she's a spotted draft.

they can be anywhere from 15hh and up
she may be a paint/draft X
she does have more of a 'lighter' built