The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipper Shy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipper-shy-30358/)

Nita 06-25-2009 08:58 PM

Clipper Shy?

So I have this little QH filly. She's actually two, and she's too little to start riding yet, but I'm trying to get her all ready, and do everything I can. Of course, I am still showing her at halter, and in showmanship, and so I need to be able to clip her. Here's the interesting part. She's totally fine with me clipping her legs, face, chin, eyes, nose. Anything. Except for her bridle path and ears. I don't really know why this is, but the only thing I can come up with is that she was injured last year, I don't really know how, she had scraped the top of her head, behind her left ear, and it was REALLY bad. I had to put a special lotion on it and she hated it... Fought me everytime, but it had to be done. Now she won't let me clip there, she shakes her head and freaks out. I've tried going slowly, earning her trust and everything that's worked for me in the past. But she doesn't buy it. Help?

Shelbs

Angel_Leaguer 06-25-2009 09:24 PM

Here is a thread that was started earlier about clipping ears...

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-groo...ng-ears-29907/

good luck with it- it is never fun

Nita 06-25-2009 09:38 PM

Thanks! I'll read it. Oh, and if anyone has any other tips, they'd be much appreciated!

HorsesAreForever 06-26-2009 12:29 PM

With out the clippers on just rub them all around that area. Will she let you rub her ears and play with them..? If not start with that.. If you can start doing it with the clippers till shes calm. Once shes calm turn them on but away from her so she can see/smell it. Then slowly go to the base of the neck and just 'massage' her neck and slowly move up to her head. If you see she tenses at all on the way up, stay there for a while till shes relaxed, if she needs to move take her off the crossties and let her move just stay with her. Be friendly let her know its not a big moster about to eat her. :P Take it slow. If she still isnt tolerating it buy the show.. sissors can do a good job aswell. Just not as close a cut. But im sure if you go about it right you'll be fine. And DONT FORGET THE TREATS! If she lets you go further then before etc give her a treat!

Chance let me do her bridle path the second time she saw them because she knew that if she was scared id step back and reassure her that its okay. I can now do just about any part of her body :) In 2 days. The first one was about a 5 min session. Your horse will love you for understanding how he feels :)

rambuck 06-26-2009 01:09 PM

That is weird. My QH gelding used to be absolutely fine with his ears. Now it is a war. He can be a little difficult with his face but his ears are now impossible.

weefoal 06-26-2009 06:28 PM

I am clipping 5 this weekend for a show ughh

Be SURE you never use even a warm clipper on ears. Ears are much more sensitive then other parts. If you do it even once your horse will learn to hate it. The blades heat up so fast so you have to be very careful

I have a seperate set of small very quiet clippers for ears. This works really well for us. A lot of times clippers sound like a bee in their ear

Nita 07-05-2009 07:52 PM

thanks for all the advice guys! :D Yeah, it's been really cold, nasty and stormy here, so I haven't been working with her much... everytime I go to plug the clippers in it seems like the power goes out. :? haha but you know, I guess I have plenty of time with her.

PumpkinzMyBaby22 07-07-2009 06:55 AM

just wondering, i want to clip the area on my ponies should to see his brand so i can find out what breed he is ( you can only see the brand faintly if he is really clean(a rare moment in time)). Anyways, how do u do it and r there any special sorts of clippers i need to get??