The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/saddles-30373/)

Tayz 06-25-2009 11:59 PM

saddles

If a horse had always been ridden with a western saddle, can it be ridden the with an all purpose wintec saddle?
what about bits?
If you have always used one type of bit on a horse, and then you sell that horse and the next person who buys that horse, can they use another type of bit straight away??

QtrHorse 06-26-2009 07:41 AM

I ride our horses in 4 different saddles - endurance, western, treeless and english. I haven't found it to make much difference as long as the saddle fits the horse well. These days I prefer to use hackamores for almost everything I am asking of them. I do like to use a Tom Sheridan sweet mouth D-ring snaffle just to keep them used to wearing a bit.

Scoutrider 06-26-2009 07:47 AM

I wouldn't be concerned about switching saddles, as long as the new saddle fits correctly. If the Wintec has the changeable gullet system, you have a pretty good chance of dialing in a better fit. I have swapped western for English on a horse with a mystery history, and he did better than me, lol. My new greenie I initially rode in a western saddle so I had a little something to hang onto if he did something unexpected, and he never skipped a beat when I put my English tack on him.

As far as the bit goes, if the horse is used to being ridden in a shanked bit for western and the English rider wants to ride in a snaffle, the horse may need a refresher course, but the horse should be okay, esp. if he was started with a snaffle, as most horses are. Again, I pulled my greenie out of a Tom Thumb (from his western ensemble...) to a single joint eggbutt snaffle and he did fine after a little circling and bending. My sis rides both styles, and rotates between a curb with a low port and copper roller for western and a solid mouth, low port Kimberwicke for English for her horse.

I hope that helped!

Tayz 06-27-2009 10:42 PM

Thanks! Helped a real lot! :)
btw scoutrider, where did you get the avvy from? I know that picture from somewhere...

White Foot 06-28-2009 12:12 AM

As long as the saddle fits, it usually fine with the horse. Mostly it's just the preference of the rider. I use a western saddle on Gunther and an english bridle.

If he isn't well broke I would go with a regular snaffle, or even if he is broke you could change that. I like to play around with different bits to see what one my horse likes the most. However don't get anything too harsh.

Scoutrider 06-28-2009 06:54 AM

I "made" the avvy on Snafflez Horsemaker. Snafflez' HorseMaker: Design and Dress Up your Pony! Eventing, Dressage, Hunter, Jumper, Cross-Country, English

There are lots of different colors and markings to choose from. Mine's the same color, markings, and tack as my own pony, Scout. There are English and western versions, also a Christmas version. It's tricky to save it, but they look kinda cool :wink:.

Tayz 06-28-2009 07:57 PM

Awesome, thanks scout(bit random for my post but oh well)
Yeah, I hate harsh bits...especially the ones with big chains to put under the chin(I hate them when not used correctly)
Thanks for the info...