The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Stopping a bolting horse...advice anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/stopping-bolting-horse-advice-anyone-30402/)

Bia 06-26-2009 01:09 PM

Stopping a bolting horse...advice anyone?

OK I had another fall. I was riding a horse who had only had one riding lesson done on him, the day before when my friend rode him. She had no problem. I got off the lunge line with him before that everything was great. I started walking him along the fence and turning him, etc he was totally awesome. I was so proud. Well then we went down to the one side of the arena and it slopes down a little. My riding instructor asked me to pick up a trot and instead the horse (lets call him Joe) went straight into a canter, the reins slipped through my hands because he threw his head down. He has no mane and I'm still a beginner rider, only riding a few times on exracehorses. I havent even really developed a post on them yet. I had nothing to really hold onto and so I paniced and grabbed his neck, hoping to stay on which I did for once around the arena. Then he spead up more into a slow gallop and I really lost my grip and fell into the fence.

So what I'm asking is can anyone give me advice on how to prevent this from happening and how to stay on when this happens? Also, how do I stop this when it happens. I know I should sit up but I freeze.

GypsyTally921 06-26-2009 01:19 PM

Is this horse green? If you're a beginner rider and haven't even developed a post yet, it's extremely dangerous to be riding a green horse.

Having said that, the one rein stop is probably what you're looking for to directly answer your question. There are tons of threads on here and other places on the internet about how to do and use it if you search for it... but don't ride that horse if it's green! You are not the right person to teach it how to be ridden; it's not even just for your own safety, but also that you can VERY easily destroy a green horse if YOU don't know how to ride. Not to mention for your own safety... green horses are unpredictable and flighty. As you well know...

Anyway, if the horse isn't green my apologies. I just had to say it :)

Piper182 06-26-2009 01:24 PM

Do you know how to post at all? Because if you don't, you shouldn't have been off the lunge.

If it ever happens again, try to sit up. I know it's hard. If you end up in the position you were in, holding on to his neck for dear life, try talking to him. With a calm voice (i know that hard) and say Whoooaaaa. Talk to him quite literally. I always conversations with horses and it can make them stop.

DakotaLuv 06-26-2009 01:25 PM

It just takes practice and experience when those things happen. One thing you can try to do is reach up and grab the top of the bridle at his poll and pull up or back as hard as you can to get him to stop or try reaching down to grab the reins, if all else fails try to get your feet out of the stirrups and bail off, the horse will slow down if no one is on him unless he's out on a trail ride, but in an arena if all else fails get off, because you're likely to come off anyway as a beginner, but getting off yourself will be less painful. Preventing those kind of things will come with time and experience as a rider.

goldilockz 06-26-2009 01:29 PM

Scary! First thing to remind yourself is "Relax, relax, relax". Easier said than done, of course. Second, hold on to those reins!! I'm sure you'll be able to do this much easier next time after the scare you had. If you can hold on to the reins, learn the one-rein emergency stop. Lifesaver!

If all else fails, feet out of the stirrups and jump. Like Dakota said, it's better that you decide when to leap than to be thrown into something.

Bia 06-26-2009 01:29 PM

Joe has only had about 4 months total of training, from what my riding instructor said. My friend and I are both beginners and we can post really well at the other stable where we are on slower horses. It's just that here at this barn the horses are exracehorses and faster to keep up with. If I'm on Midnight or Ruby, the horses at the other barn I've rode at I can post AND canter but I had to stop riding there because it cost too much. Joe is pretty green I'd say and he's always been a bit feisty. I'll try the advice you guys have given if im ever in this situation again.

goldilockz 06-26-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bia (Post 336574)
Joe has only had about 4 months total of training, from what my riding instructor said. My friend and I are both beginners and we can post really well at the other stable where we are on slower horses. It's just that here at this barn the horses are exracehorses and faster to keep up with. If I'm on Midnight or Ruby, the horses at the other barn I've rode at I can post AND canter but I had to stop riding there because it cost too much. Joe is pretty green I'd say and he's always been a bit feisty. I'll try the advice you guys have given if im ever in this situation again.

Your instructor shouldn't have had you on a green horse whatsoever. That makes me a little angry because it's just so dangerous! Talk to her about it and if there are any horses with more training and miles on them, they would be the better choice. I know it can be intimidating because you don't want to seem demanding, but really, your safety is all that matters.

barefoot 06-26-2009 03:21 PM

Sit up and keep your legs still. The big thing on a green horse, though you shouldn't be riding one, is to keep your entire body very still. Sudden movements, as minimal as they are, can scare even a trained horse, depending. Your instructor doesn't really seem very smart having you ride a green horse off the lunge line. Very dangerous at your level. Not to mention it isn't boosting your confidence at all, probably lowering it. And will make you more scared in the long run. My advice, find a new instructor that has patience for a rider at your level.

barefoot 06-26-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot (Post 336660)
Sit up and keep your legs still. The big thing on a green horse, though you shouldn't be riding one, is to keep your entire body very still. Sudden movements, as minimal as they are, can scare even a trained horse, depending. Your instructor doesn't really seem very smart having you ride a green horse off the lunge line. Very dangerous at your level. Not to mention it isn't boosting your confidence at all, probably lowering it. And will make you more scared in the long run. My advice, find a new instructor that has patience for a rider at your level.

I should say that, if it happens again with this instructor (who you should knock some sense into) sit up and turn into a circle. When circling horses can't go into a full-on gallop and are under more control. But you really need to start expecting the unexpected, but still trust the horse. Horses that aren't green usually are only as nervous as you are.

Ahsisi 06-26-2009 03:35 PM

I think you need to go to a different barn. Being a beginner rider you shouldn't be riding ex-racehorses that are as green as they sound. I hope you are ok.