The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   What do feed my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/what-do-feed-my-horse-304034/)

katec1991 10-30-2013 04:49 PM

What do feed my horse?

So, I hate feeding a ton of grain. Right now my horse gets 12oz of Nutrena Empower Balance (a ration balancer) twice a day, and that's it. Of course, he gets plenty of hay. My trainer mentioned to me the other day that he is at the perfect weight right now, but if he loses any more it will be too much. What worries me is that he has been off work lately and now that it's getting cold out, if I put him back to work, he might lost more weight. He will get free choice hay once it starts snowing out, but as a precautionary measure I would like to pick your brains. What are some good things to add to his ration balancer, without adding more grain, that would help him stay at the same weight and maybe help him build muscle when he gets back to work? I've heard rice bran and omega horse shine work well, and also good old hay pellets, but what do you all think?

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the title!

deserthorsewoman 10-30-2013 05:01 PM

you're on the right track with ricebran and flax. Alfalfa , pellets or hay, would supply protein and calories to help with muscles.

verona1016 10-30-2013 05:23 PM

The Empower Balance should be covering all of his protein needs, so I'd consider what's readily available and economical in your area if you need more calories. Alfalfa (hay, pellets, or cubes), rice bran, flax, and beet pulp are my top choices.

katec1991 10-31-2013 11:54 AM

Thank you :) I'm probably going to go with the rice bran or flax
Posted via Mobile Device

BayDancer 10-31-2013 07:15 PM

I supplement several lbs of chopped alfalfa to all my horses (they all get grass hay and most get grain, plus they're all on pasture), and the thinner ones get calf manna or rice bran, plus a couple extra lbs of alfalfa. I love the rice bran but the horses aren't too crazy about it so a lot gets wasted :/