The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
- - Big decision... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/big-decision-30420/)
I have to decide whether I want to actually own Lacey or not. My trainer lady does this thing where she'll get a horse for you and then you work with the horse for a year then she transfers the horses ownership to you and she's doing that for me and Lacey. Our year will be up on around July 10thish and so I need to decide whether Lacey is the one for me and if this is a good decision.
I guess the pros are:
We get along really well
She's a super easy keeper so feed costs are less
She likes me
She's really healthy, no arthritis
I'd be following through with my commitment to Lacey
I'm about to start college... probably gonna go to community college for the next year or so but after that I want to go to Montana State
I don't have a job and the job market here, even for people looking to take any job they can find, is absolutely awful. I've been petsitting and cleaning houses to make money but that only makes around $100 a month, so I'm not really sure how I'm gonna support her in the long run, my trainer is willing to keep paying for stuff while Lacey lives with her but I feel bad about that
My dad is utterly against me even considering owning Lacey (but he's pretty against anything to do with horse industry because "it's a money sink"), my Mom is more like "it's your life"
My trainer lady thinks I should just do it. She was in a similar situation at my age and she gave her horse up only to find him and buy him (he's 34 now) back 12 years later and she still feels awful about those 12 years.
Either way I feel like I'm either breaking the commitment I have to Lacey, since I believe that once you get an animal you should keep it and not treat it like a toy to be thrown away when you're done with it, or possibly putting myself in a financial pickle. Lacey and I don't really have an inseparable bond yet it's more like one of those that has yet to blossom.
I'm inclined to just go for it and trust that it'll work out...
I dunno, I guess what would you do in my shoes?
I am probably the worst person to give you advice about this situation. I bought Soda before I could really afford him.... and honestly its scary & stressful to know that if something happens to him I will have to depend on my parents or somebody else to pay for anything major. I'm finishing up college, living at my parent's house, and right now I make around $10K a year. Frankly its stupid that I own a horse, esp in this economy where I have no idea what is going to happen after I graduate.
That being said.... I love finally having my own horse. I haven't been able to ride him for the last couple of weeks, but just waking up in the morning and seeing him out in the pasture and hearing him nicker when he sees me brightens up my entire day.
But, I'm very lucky, my parents have land to keep him on, so no boarding expenses for me. And my dad really likes Soda. In fact, he got on him this last Xmas and took him for a ride. The first time he has been on a horse in 10+ years. As he told me right before I brought him home "Nikki, you're my daughter and you know that if you need help with him, we'll be there for you. So if you need to bring him home, we'll figure it out." Long story short (sorry I ramble sometimes) if I didn't have my family behind me on this there is no way I could manage it. I'm very lucky that they came around too as when I finally told them I bought a horse, I almost got kicked out of the house (I had owned him for about 6 mnths at this point). And honestly if I knew the position I would be in right now with Soda, I don't know if I would've bought him, no matter how much I love that horse. But, now he's mine and in my family (like yours) once you buy an animal you are responsible for it for life. Not just for as long as it serves your purpose.
I guess you have to figure out if your trainer can be counted on to help you if something happens to her.... or if you fall on hard times. Sorry this probably wasn't very helpful..... :oops: I feel for you though, its a hard decision to make.
Honestly, you're better off waiting till you get done with college. I don't think you're letting her down or anything and at least she would just be staying with someone you know. There are plenty of ways to get your horsey fix around here...
I love my horse and Im not going to sell him, but if I would have known then what I do now, I would have waited to buy a horse until I was done with school
I am also gonna say wait.
In the last month I have spent over $2500 on ONE horses vet bills! That doesn't include her training, boarding, farrier work etc. And she is a young healthy horse that just had an under lying problem that had to be fixed or she had to be put down!
I'm in the same position, and I feel the same way you do about many things. I think you should go for it. You have the time you go to community for thinking about selling her. Maybe you could work out a thing with your trainer.? that if you work there, then you can board her there for free. When your in MS maybe you can do the same ?
Here is how I see it.
Don't listen to your father, mine was always very negative about my riding and my passion he never cared about what made me happy. Your mom is being neutral which is nice tho not to helpful for you and of course your trainer is going to say go for it because it's a business to her. Regardless of how much she might care for you on a personal level, there is money for her to be made in some form or another.
With the info you gave, I would suggest for you to wait. Finish school and focus on that before getting a horse. The horses will always be around so there is no need to put yourself in a financial bind and add a lot of stress on yourself. As soon as you are done school, nothing will and can stop you from getting a horse then. Big part of horse ownership is being to financially support him/her which is not something you will be able to do if you are also in school.
Good luck with your education, you should have a lot of fun and meet some great people :)
I would wait.
School is important. One day you may be able to buy Lacey, and a few others as well.
I'm currently kinda leaning towards not actually transferring the papers to my name but then staying involved with Lacey so that down the road when I'm more capable of taking care of a horse money-wise I'll be first in line to buy her if she's still the one for me. My trainer is willing to do that as long as I either continue to care for her and/or give her $20 a month to help with Lacey's expenses.
That way I feel like I won't be "throwing her away" but I also won't be shackling myself to something that could end up being a major issue.
Does that sound like a reasonable deal to you guys? My trainer is willing to hold on to Lacey for me for however long it takes (and I know she will since she's doing a similar thing for 2 other young ladies)...
Thanks for all your helpful responses! =)
Sounds great, I know you will make the right decision.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.