The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   joint supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/joint-supplements-304242/)

horsecrazy8 10-30-2013 08:47 PM

joint supplements

My horse blessing, is about twenty one something years old and he is starting to become unrideable (he was fine two years ago) but he is starting to limp alot, I do not care if I can ride him, but is their any supplements I can give him to help him get around better? :?

BarrelRacingLvr 10-30-2013 09:08 PM

I am a HUGE fan of Tight Joints Plus! I have seen results with my horses, and a friends horse who was a big test case as he had very bad arthritis and huge knees. He is now sound and competing again. The vet who made the product, his daughter uses it and her good rodeo horse no longer needs injected (ever 4 months he previously needed injected).

Here is the link for more information on the product! I highly recommend this product!

Equine Joint Supplements | Auburn, WA

horsecrazy8 10-31-2013 01:32 PM

Thank you, I just want to enjoy riding my blessing boy into his golden years, he means everything to me! :P

TheatricalAffair 11-02-2013 01:10 PM

Any supplements containing MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin are great. Some also have added HA (Hyaluronic Acid) to help keep joints lubrified and flexible.

RedAce 11-02-2013 01:47 PM

I'd highly suggest using Platinum Performance. They're pricey, but their supplements don't just address joints, but the your horse's whole body. Many of my friends use their equine line, and I use the canine line for my dog, and I've noticed an awesome difference. With my dog, she's acting like a puppy again at the age of 12!
Equine Supplements for Horse Health by Platinum Performance

ponylover1 11-04-2013 02:11 AM

I really really really suggest Grand Flex Senior, it is amazing! I have a 24yr old horse that has extremely bad arthritis and he is mobile because of it. I also had a pony that was yarded 24/7 and used to become very tight and sore from not moving enough, this helped her to be mobile.
I honestly can not push this anymore. It is amazing!!:D
Grand Meadows Grand Flex Senior

jaydee 11-05-2013 09:48 AM

I have an old mare with arthritis and I tried every supplement out there and I can't honestly say that any of them made a difference to her at all.
What does help is keeping the affected joints warm in the cold weather, providing her with a warm dry place to lie down and allowing her enough turnout space to exercise herself.
When she seems to be struggling with any pain from her stiffness she gets low dose Previcox

BeccaSikes 11-20-2013 01:44 PM

I've heard several good things about The Missing Link Hip & Joint supplement. I bought some for my horse. He's only been on it for 5 days (still working up to the recommended amount to feed him) so hard to say if it's working. I hope to see some improvement in the next few weeks.

beau159 11-20-2013 02:59 PM

I second Platinum Performance CJ. It is expensive, but it is a great all-around supplement that also includes specific extra ingredients for joints. It says you should feed 2 scoops per day, but I have noticed results with my horse on only 1 scoop.

JADIP 11-20-2013 04:30 PM

This sounds familiar. Just two weeks ago, I was speaking to my vet about our 21-year mare getting a little stiff. I asked her about joint supplements and she stated that most don't do much good. However, she did like Platinum Performance, and said out of all of them it was effective if we wanted to supplement. Ultimately, we decided on a low dose of bute a day to see if it helps. I voiced my concern for stomach issues, and we're doing this as a trial run for a few weeks. Rena feels pretty good, though. Got a little more pep in her step.