The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Kids ripping out grass to give to our horses??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/kids-ripping-out-grass-give-our-30474/)

Lizz 06-27-2009 05:13 PM

Kids ripping out grass to give to our horses???

Question?

My girls have been ripping out grass by the handfulls to bring over and feed to our horses in the afternoon when they are down in their stalls (out of the sun even though we HAVE a run in shed??) Is this bad for them? They rip from our lawn not treated by any chemicals and bring it right over to the horses to munch on. I know you can not feed grass clippings and grass that has been cut and sitting around but is this bad for our horses? A friend of mine told me they should never rip out the grass and feed the horses it can cause colic? I am so freaked out now.
Please let me know

DakotaLuv 06-27-2009 05:27 PM

I have NEVER heard of that....sounds like an old wives tale. I don't think it will hurt them at all.

eventerdrew 06-27-2009 05:30 PM

it will not hurt them. i do this all the time because the grass just outside the fence is longer and they love munching on it as a treat. as long as your lawn doesnt have chemicals in it, they will be perfectly fine

Lizz 06-27-2009 05:31 PM

Oh Thank Goodness. I was so upset all day. I have never heard that but I don't know anymore.

reining girl 06-27-2009 05:34 PM

ya thats fine, it would be no different then them being on pasture, except there being hand fed lol.

Lizz 06-27-2009 09:23 PM

Cool they just love it!!!

Scoutrider 06-27-2009 09:43 PM

My guys LOVE it when they get "yard grass", lol. Maybe the fuss against it is in case there are dirtballs stuck in the pulled out grass, but it seems like the horses could pull up dirtalls themselves if the ground is soft. I don't see a problem with it. We don't bag and dump clippings into the paddocks or anything, but well dried grass clippings are essentially hay, and probably fine fed as a "handful" treat as well. The issue is with clippings that start to compost or ferment, to my knowledge and according to my vet. (We called before Dad brush hogged the paddocks. That leaves some MAJOR clippings, lol.)

Audra0729 06-27-2009 09:46 PM

continue to let them enjoy the 1 on 1 time this gives them with the horses. you won't run into any problems. =]

RoosterDo 06-27-2009 09:53 PM

The reason you cant feed yard clippings is because the nitrates build up very fast in a pile of clipped hot grass and can cause founder. But you will be fine picking and feeding straight to the animals.

danastark 06-28-2009 07:26 PM

My horses love it when I'm weeding. I fill up my wheelbarrow and they each get a pile. We have lots of bermuda grass that grows anywhere you water so there's always a little something for them which is a treat because they are in a dry lot.