The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Making the best possible sale ad (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/making-best-possible-sale-ad-304802/)

BadWolf 10-31-2013 08:53 PM

Making the best possible sale ad

I'm going to list out everything I know on making the best ad I can, so if I've forgotten anything or if you have any other advice, let me know :)
Thanks!

1.) Details to include in ad: breed, age, sex, height, training level - good and bad, location, price, veterinary/farrier status (shots utd, barefoot, etc)

2.) Photos: well-groomed a must, neutral background, level surface, shots of left, right, back, and front, take from low angle like Conformation Forum said, action shots?, do not use phone to take these

3.) Videos: walk, trot, canter, going left and right, keep other horses out of frame, use YouTube so everyone can view easily, again do not use phone for this

4.) Where to list: HorseForum, Facebook, HorseClicks?

I have two horses I'm wanting to sell. One was actually pending sale, but it fell through because of issues with the prospective boarding facility, blah blah blah, not important.
Both need work, but they're good horses with a lot of potential - one as a likely eventer or jumper, the other was a child's 4H pony and could be again.

I'm more concerned about getting them into good homes than I am with making a fortune, but the "free to good home" thing can be a slippery slope.
Is something like this appropriate -> "$500, negotiable to good home"?

Also, what's the right way to say that I don't want to go pay for a Coggins/health certificate, have the horse sell 31 days later, and have to go get another one done because the original expired?
I know some states accept a 6 month or 12 month Coggins/health certificate, but a lot are only 30 days. Is that my issue or the buyers issue?

I think that's all my questions.
Thanks!

paintedpastures 10-31-2013 09:48 PM

buyer generally pays for health papers, coggins, vet checks etc. But things may work different where you live:? Pedigree filled in if horse registered. If horse is riding besides the confo shots, like to see under saddle performance picture of horse.Accomplishments listed & level of rider experience required.
Sale sites Dreamhorse is my favorite:D,equine.com & FB proably next in line:lol:
Also there may be another sale website that is very popular,but more regional to you,check those out. Know we have horse website around here that is very popular:wink: Also Kijji here{more like craigslist} tends to get more traffic:-)

Hope you find those good homes:D

Saddlebag 11-01-2013 07:56 AM

I'd be careful about using the term "to a good home". I think that's an insult to prospective buyers who are inclined to believe they will provide a good home. It all boils down to opinion on what constitutes a good home.

BadWolf 11-01-2013 08:01 PM

I'll have to check in to DreamHorse and Equine.com.
Both are grade, so nothing on pedigree.

Good point on "to a good home." I'll work on my wording.

bkylem 11-02-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadWolf (Post 3999874)
I'm going to list out everything I know on making the best ad I can, so if I've forgotten anything or if you have any other advice, let me know :)
Thanks!

1.) Details to include in ad: breed, age, sex, height, training level - good and bad, location, price, veterinary/farrier status (shots utd, barefoot, etc)

2.) Photos: well-groomed a must, neutral background, level surface, shots of left, right, back, and front, take from low angle like Conformation Forum said, action shots?, do not use phone to take these

3.) Videos: walk, trot, canter, going left and right, keep other horses out of frame, use YouTube so everyone can view easily, again do not use phone for this

4.) Where to list: HorseForum, Facebook, HorseClicks?

I have two horses I'm wanting to sell. One was actually pending sale, but it fell through because of issues with the prospective boarding facility, blah blah blah, not important.
Both need work, but they're good horses with a lot of potential - one as a likely eventer or jumper, the other was a child's 4H pony and could be again.

I'm more concerned about getting them into good homes than I am with making a fortune, but the "free to good home" thing can be a slippery slope.
Is something like this appropriate -> "$500, negotiable to good home"?

Also, what's the right way to say that I don't want to go pay for a Coggins/health certificate, have the horse sell 31 days later, and have to go get another one done because the original expired?
I know some states accept a 6 month or 12 month Coggins/health certificate, but a lot are only 30 days. Is that my issue or the buyers issue?

I think that's all my questions.
Thanks!

I personally would list the reason why you are selling. I think that always adds a bit of honesty (and sometimes compassion) to the ad.

BadWolf 11-03-2013 01:59 AM

Excellent point. Thanks :)