The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Hates being alone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/hates-being-alone-30497/)

horseluver2435 06-28-2009 12:14 PM

Hates being alone?

I've been working with my first horse, Rainy, a 4 year old Quarter Horse mix, in the outdoor arena and indoor arena, and usually she's fine. Until we ride alone, like outside of lessons or without a riding buddy. She will buck, canter away, gallop away and then start cantering in tight circles until she comes to the center of the arena, where she stops. Is there anything I can do to help her relax while we're riding alone? I can't always have someone else out there to ride with us, so it would be much easier on us if she could ride peacefully alone. Thank you ahead of time for reading and hopefully responding.

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 12:37 AM

Hi,
The reason your horse may be doing this is because horses are herd animals.Maybe just try leading/lunging her away from other horses.You also may want to join up/bond with her so she trusts you a bit more . :)

horseluver2435 06-29-2009 08:43 AM

Well, we are bonded very well. She does fine when we're out on trails alone, but maybe that's because she can't see the other horses? It's just in the arena. All of the other horses I've worked with, or have seen others working with never do this.

smrobs 06-29-2009 08:51 AM

How much training has Rainy had? Is she finished or green broke? I can't really say right now whether what she is doing is just because of herd sourness or if it is a fear/confidence issue. Either way, I think that lots and lots of one rein stops would help. Lots of flexing both laterally and vertically just to ensure that you have complete control over her head then start trotting medium sized circles. I wouldn't even think about loping until you get this under control. When she starts to act out (that exact instant she begins to bolt or buck) the tighten a rein and flex her nose to your foot. If she is still concentrating on other things, you can bump her with the inside foot just to get her butt moving sideways and disengage those hindquarters. She needs to be ridden lots and needs hundreds of wet saddle blankets for her to really learn to behave. Half an hour a day, 3 days a week will not fix this problem. This is a get her tired every single day of the week fix. :) Good luck.

horseluver2435 06-29-2009 08:56 AM

Thanks for the advice, smrobs! Rainy is somewhat...erm, green trained, I would put it. She's definately broken, but not 'fine tuned'. As far as training, we suspect she went to a trainer to be broken, but we can't be sure. (We bought her from the barn I take lessons from, and they bought her from neglective owners who didn't tell us anything) I've been re-training her since the fall, and we've come quite a ways. As you can see, however, we still have a lot to do. I love her with all my heart though!