The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Looking to free lease a horse. (is it even possible?) (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/looking-free-lease-horse-even-possible-30515/)

yooperbug 06-28-2009 04:52 PM

Looking to free lease a horse. (is it even possible?)

I may be looking to free lease a horse for a few months (maybe longer). I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. However, if I decide to I'm looking for something to build my confidence, that's beginner safe, great on the trails, road safe, 14.3h-16h (the shorter the better easier to get on lol), something stocky 1200lbs plus as I am a big girl. I know this is a lot to ask but I figure what do I got to lose. Anyway, if someone would consider leasing me a horse to build my confidence please let me know. My email is bug23@charter.net

White Foot 06-30-2009 12:21 PM

Yes, It's possible.

Barrelracer Up 06-30-2009 12:26 PM

Try putting an ad on your local Craigslist and post fliers in your feed/tack store.
I have leased horses for "free" where the leasee maintains the horse at the facitiliy I board at and pays for the upkeep. So they still put out money, but don't have the out of pocket cost of purchasing the horse. They also were the only person riding the horse.
Partial lease you can have access to the horse x number of days or on certain days in exchange for help around the barn, etc......

ChingazMyBoy 07-10-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrelracer Up (Post 339325)
Try putting an ad on your local Craigslist and post fliers in your feed/tack store.
I have leased horses for "free" where the leasee maintains the horse at the facitiliy I board at and pays for the upkeep. So they still put out money, but don't have the out of pocket cost of purchasing the horse. They also were the only person riding the horse.
Partial lease you can have access to the horse x number of days or on certain days in exchange for help around the barn, etc......

All of those suggestions are great, maybe also put a flier up at your local vet ad offer to pay for 1/2 of the feed or something or to get the horses feet done.

Sunny06 07-10-2009 10:10 PM

Horsetopia - Horses for Sale and Horse Classifieds

Endless Journey Girl 07-17-2009 12:29 AM

Mhmm it's possible, it's what I'm looking at doing too.

Sunny06 07-17-2009 10:59 AM

We are actually free-leasing one right now. Find a person who lost their job or is in financial trouble, and see if you can 'take care' of their horse for a while.