The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Horse hates dogs...trail riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/horse-hates-dogs-trail-riding-305162/)

Nvr2L8 11-01-2013 01:54 PM

Horse hates dogs...trail riding

I am currently fostering a rescue horse and am just really getting to learn her in's and out's. I haven't ridden her yet and am working with her on the ground until I am confident she listens to me and earning trust. I am evaluating her too for me to possibly adopt her. I want a horse for trail riding or just pleasure riding, no showing.

One thing I have never seen but made very aware of by the other barn horse owners/fosters is that she absolutely hates dogs and is very aggressive with them even standing outside of her paddock. She tries to get to them and attack them.

Would this be a deal breaker for a trail horse? I know that people walk their dogs on trails that are shared and this is a big worry if we would pass by one on a trail or just riding out in various locations. I think it would be. This little mare has great ground manners and has amazed me at what she isn't afraid of (ex. umbrellas open, twirling, etc.) and then she is really scared of other things.

Thanks for the opinions.

SaskGal 11-01-2013 02:02 PM

I think if u are confident in your control over the horse it should not be a problem. The horse should have all its attention on you, but u may want to see her response in a controlled environment, first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Incitatus32 11-01-2013 02:58 PM

I agree with the above. My gelding HATES dogs, he will do as your horse and try to attack them. It took a while (and working with a very experienced trainer) but we got to the point where under saddle, or on a rope he no longer will chase after them or try to stomp them to death but other than that the deals off. If your confident in your ability and she listens to you under saddle there shouldn't be a problem, but I would try her in a controlled environment first. :)

Nvr2L8 11-01-2013 07:58 PM

Thanks guys. You are both definitely right about assessing her in a controlled environment first and being confident. I actually have a small Chihuahua and a English bulldog that I can bring on a leash one day just to see how she reacts. Maybe starting with a small dog it might seem less threatening to her.

Painted Horse 11-02-2013 09:10 AM

I see herding dogs always trying to nip horses on the heels around the pasture. The horses trying to kick the dogs. But put them to work on a trail and they seem to come to peace with each other. The dogs weaving in and out of the line of horses and often walking right at the same horse's heels that kicked him yesterday.

Most horses can become accustomed to and comfortable around dogs while working.

QOS 11-04-2013 10:09 PM

My horse Biscuit doesn't seem to be a major fan of dogs on the trail but it really seems to be just ONE particular dog he dislikes! Start slow with the little Chi and see how that goes if you are holding the dog and someone holding the horse!

Dustbunny 11-05-2013 06:34 PM

^^^^ start with the dog outside the fence, and make sure everyone has a good grip!

Good luck...

Nvr2L8 11-05-2013 09:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I will try and give it a try soon. Start with the little one and then work my way up in dog sizes. :)

walkinthewalk 11-06-2013 05:56 PM

One of my horses is a real dog hater which comes in handy to keep stray dogs out of the pasture.

Today, he chased the 22 pound barn cat out of his way (it's not fat, it's HUGE). He could've easily nailed that cat but he chose not to.

I have him and the horse in my avatar trained to go after dogs, if we ride by a house and their dogs come a-growling.

I simply wheel my horse around to face the dogs, drop the reins and say "get them!". Down go the snaking heads and the dogs head back to their yards.

None of this happens without a command from me.

Sometimes the owner of said dogs is arrogantly standing n their porch, doing nothing, that's when I holler there's a leash law ya know and thank you for putting your street number on your mailbox--------------blesssssss your harrrrrttttt:-)

Saddlebag 11-06-2013 09:28 PM

A horse sees the dog as a predator, which it is, therefore it is protecting itself.