The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Holiday gift ideas thread! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/holiday-gift-ideas-thread-305394/)

SlideStop 11-01-2013 08:29 PM

Holiday gift ideas thread!

The holidays are closing in once again, which gives me an idea!! Ever have trouble finding a gift or thinking of gift ideas? ... Well let's start a thread dedicated to gifts for the holidays! Maybe we can give a fellow HF comrade a good idea or two!!

One of the special things I'm doing this year is having an oil painting done of my girlfriends dog. She is getting up there in age and has a few health issues.

My mother is getting Yankee candles (look for their buy 2 get 2 free coupons!!!)and maybe another Pandora charm.

My sister will be getting money. She will be graduating from the NYC police academy and she has LOTS of stuff she needs to shell out money for.

Still stumped on what to get my GFs parents..
Posted via Mobile Device

pbeebs 11-01-2013 09:17 PM

will be checking in on this to hopefully get some more ideas! Love your oil painting idea. I have no idea what to get my in-laws or parents...or brother...I'm in trouble!

I'm getting my sister in law a wooden welcome sign with their name on it for their front yard. And my best friend I'm thinking of trying to make hand print ornaments of her kids, but not sure how to go about it yet. Other then that, I'm at a loss!

alexischristina 11-01-2013 09:54 PM

My dad is getting a belt and mum's getting a 'blingy' leather leash for the dog (she's obsessed with our dog). Sister will probably get something very superficial, and I'm not sure what everyone else is getting.
I REALLY like the welcome sign idea though, I have a few people that would suit.

SlideStop 11-01-2013 10:05 PM

I love practical gift! I can't stand giving or receiving something for the sake of getting/giving something. I'll sooner give a gift card or check then something someone will toss, "lose", regift, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Incitatus32 11-01-2013 11:08 PM

Since money's a little tight right now my family and I decided to give homemade gifts. For my aunt I'm making her a journal, I've got all the paper made, the beginning of the binding and all she needs to do is make her cover so that it has the design she wants.

My mom's getting a homemade custom sized bit for her horse from my grandpa, as well as a leather headstall for it. I'm getting her driving lessons with my BO or me (I've already worked it out so I don't have to pay for them!).

Poseidon 11-01-2013 11:26 PM

Protip for everybody: Joann's fabrics has HUGE savings on blizzard fleece for the weekend after Thanksgiving ($3/yard versus the regular $12, plus 25% off coupons).

I have made a lot of fleece blankets for the last 3 or 4 years because of this. They averaged out to be around $10-12 a blanket (full cost is usually around $40, depending on size) and everyone has loved them.

They're easy and they're awesome.

aubie 11-02-2013 12:30 AM

On the subject of belts, Quillin leather in Kentucky makes them out of the same bridle leather they use for racehorse bridles. You can also get an engraved plate like you see the names of race horses. Thought it would be a good idea for a horse person. They have nice personal items for desk/office.

Missy May 11-02-2013 12:36 AM

Honestly, I prefer to receive as a gift a certificate of donation made in my name to one of my favorite non-profit fellow creature protection organizations. I think it really captures the "essence" of Christmas. But....I don't think others feel the same, although they might. So, I agonize over what to get them. Ugh.

I am w slide, I will only give gifts I deem "practical". If I am completely at a loss as to what to get someone - I get well made, super soft cotton towels. No bathing experience is complete w/o really nice bath towels. It might be a "boring" gift, but it is totally "practical".

I have no idea what I am getting anyone at this point. :( Except, I will get DH some Dark Obsession...I love that cologne!

Some of my most cherished gifts were hand made by friends. I don't have any such talents - I wish I did.

Coffeejunkie 11-02-2013 02:03 PM

For friends I'm going to make hair ties, headbands, sugar scrub cubes, decorate candles/glass and blend some loose tea mixes.

My parents love wine so I think I'm going to get them a case of good local wine to take up, and then something else for each.

My parents and I started using amazon wish lists, and have been really happy with it. You can add things from external sites. People can get things they want/need, and gift givers still get to feel like they're making a choice!

I have a new "pseudo-nephew" too! (friend I grew up with is like a sister) so I'm sure I'll be doing some over the top baby shopping. I did hear she wanted a baby bullet blender, so most likely that for her and some other small things. She's probably the only non family member I'll spend more than small crafting supplies on this year.

DraftyAiresMum 11-02-2013 02:07 PM

I'm not sure what I'm getting people for Christmas. I'll probably get my BF something Dallas Cowboys-related...or Marine Corps (he's a former Marine)-related. My son will be getting something Star Wars-related, as he is currently obsessed with Star Wars.
Posted via Mobile Device