The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Moved horse, being naughty. :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/moved-horse-being-naughty-30546/)

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 01:17 AM

Moved horse, being naughty. :(

Hi,
Just 2 days ago, I moved my horse to a property 5 minutes away from my house.There is 2 stalls next to eachother with a fence dividing them.There is another horse in the other stall next to Georgie.
They still attack eachother to see who is the alpha, even though it is obvious the other horse is stronger then georgie.
Anyway, all of a sudden now Georgie runs away from me, i can't pat her,i can't put the halter on her, and when i did catch her i lunged her and she dragged me, as they dont have a lunge yard.She trampled me! when i was sitting down next to her and she was grazing, and she did it plainly because she wanted different grass. there was nothing to spook her.
She also tried to kick me!!!:shock:
Georgie used to be such a wonderful horse, no buck, rear,bite,kick, she would run over to me and she absoloutley loved me. but now i feel like a crap owner and that georgie has no respect for me :cry:

It is just making me really nervous and i lost my temper and smacked her 2 or 3 times. then i started crying. i just feel that i cannot handle her anymore already.

Any help, and what should I do?

Thankyou.

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 01:42 AM

Anybody, please?
It is really getting to me :(

mom2pride 06-29-2009 01:46 AM

Are you out there everyday? Or atleast every other day? If so, you can start doing exercises to re-establish her respect; I am guessing her issue right now, is that she is now 'lowest horse on the totem pole' so now she feels she can dominate you. Now is the time where you may want to find a trainer to help you re-establish respect and regain control of your horse, before you become so afraid of her that you can't handle her at all.

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 01:54 AM

Yes, I am out there every single day.
What kind of excercises can I do with her to establish respect?
I have found a trainer on the internet, who lives close to me,and I shall call her for some sessions/lessons . :)

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 02:43 AM

does anybody know any respect excercises ?
Thankyou in advance :D

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 08:30 AM

AAAAAAAAN NNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD DDDDYYYYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy?

Sorry i just really want help with thiss.

Scoutrider 06-29-2009 08:42 AM

I love the Clinton Anderson groundwork exercises to get my horses respectful and focused. I don't know how available his resources are in Australia, but it's worth a look. I'd be more specific about which exercises, but they all help and build on each other. I would suggest, though, that you first reestablish your personal space. When you catch Georgie, put a lungeline on her and use a heavy plastic cue stick (a dressage whip works if you don't have a stick) and tap the air in front of any part of your horse you can touch with the stick without moving your feet. If she doesn't move away from you, tap her (Sets of 3 taps, increasing intensity with every set) until she moves out of your reach. Then, bump her face with the lungeline and get 2 eyes on you, with feet stopped, with Georgie still out of your space. Let her stand there for a minute (She'll probably lick her lips and lower her head), then approach her and pet her. You are allowed in her space whenever you choose, but she must be invited in to your space. The trampling is truly dangerous and must be resolved.

The entire episode is most likely, as Mom2Pride said, Georgie testing you within the context of the herd hierarchy in her new territory. You need to reestablish your position as the boss mare in her herd.

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 08:59 AM

I don't really understand, so I have her on the lunge standing next to her, tap the air in front of her until she moves back/away. Then pull her head toward me, so that she is focused on me with 2 eyes and give her eye contact and when she starts licking and chewing with her head down then approach her and pet her. Is that right, sorry i didn't really understand.

I think the reason she trampled me now was because she wanted to get near the other horse . The other horse throws her into corners tramples her rears on her and kick her, but she is still obsessed with her , does anyone know how i can stop georgie being so obsessed with the other horse so much, because it is getting beyond a joke now.

Scoutrider 06-29-2009 09:10 AM

I suppose the best way to clarify would be to just get her standing out of your "reach," your personal space, facing you and giving you her undivided attention. Your sum-up is pretty good :-).

No matter how badly she wants to be with the other horse, she needs to view trampling you to get there as walking through the bossiest mare either of you has ever met. Carry the stick, and if she ever invades your space, even a little closer than you want her (they can be sneaky, I've seen horses take little half steps and "tiptoe" in), do the personal bubble exercise. Clinton Anderson calls this the Hula Hoop exercise. I quickly searched it on Youtube and nothing came up, I was going to post a link to it.

If she presses you, do NOT be afraid to really get after her. She may just need a smack at the opportune moment to shake her good sense loose.

ILoveGeorgieMyPony 06-29-2009 10:58 PM

I went to catch her yesterday, and the other girl just went and brought her horse in and it just followed her, but as soon as georgie saw the other horse going, she took no notice of me and ran straight past me, then i went up to her pushed her back out of the yard she ran into then she just ran straight through me again. Then she went and stood at her fence and let me put the halter on her fine,and then i tied her up and gave her a piece of carrot, so know she will know, that maybe if she is good and gets the halter on, she can have some carrot, is this a good way to teach her? Thanks