The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Too Excited :( help!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/too-excited-help-305530/)

trigger123 11-02-2013 06:39 AM

Too Excited :( help!!

My horse is great...but since I've brought him home when I ride him he gets very excited and I fall off! What should I do to calm him down or something!!?? Please help!!:?

gssw5 11-02-2013 06:55 AM

I am thinking maybe some lessons, and a trainer to help you.

Do you do any ground work with him? If not you should be, get his feet moving on the ground and get him thinking. When he gets excited he stops using the thinking portion of his brain and is using the reactive side. You need to learn how keep him thinking and listening. But if your falling off then maybe some lessons will help you keep your seat and get your horse more confident in you as a leader.

trigger123 11-02-2013 07:08 AM

He has just come back from training the whole summer!! Maybe it's just the fresh grass and no horses around him anyore..?! And he is only 3! Thank you

Bailey11 11-02-2013 07:09 AM

Yes definitely get some lessons so the problem doesn't get worse. Try and stay very calm and relaxed yourself when in the saddle so not to make him nervous. Your trainer will be able to advise you on methods to calm him. If he has had the training, then it is likely that you just need to learn to ride him, and push the right buttons. Not saying you are bad at riding, but every horse is different and you will get used to him! :)

trigger123 11-02-2013 07:20 AM

I am used to him and he is actually very quiet! Maybe i should ride him in a smaller space...?! :) thank you though. Ive had lots of lessons already!

Kayty 11-02-2013 08:17 AM

You say he gets excited... what exactly does he do? If he's just jigging around, you REALLY need to work on your seat to get some balance. If he's bucking or spooking, then try riding him in a smaller, enclosed area and do some ground work before you get on to get him brain going. Then once you are on, go straight to riding some baby leg yield/turn on the forehand. Get control of his brain before you start working his body.

trigger123 11-02-2013 12:47 PM

For Kayty He gets a bit jiggy then gallops off around the paddock! :?

rideverystride 11-02-2013 02:26 PM

I'm gonna second what everyone said about doing groundwork. You should not be riding this horse until you have his full respect, and have a better seat as well. I will also second what everyone said about you needing lessons as well. If you can't sit a out a spook then you seat needs to improve, especially since you have an excitable horse. Is that your boy in your avatar by the way?

EDIT: Sorry just read that you have taken lessons. I suggest you ask your instructor for exercises to improve your seat. I'm sure you can find something to do on and off horseback to help you :).

tinyliny 11-02-2013 03:11 PM

Get the trainer to work WITH you and the horse, not just the horse.
he is 3, I think maybe very nervous , diet maybe rich, no horses around, and you sound like maybe you are young? Those are all elements that add up to explosive forces.

I think he needs more ground work, too, but you would be best to have an experienced person help you with that for a bit. sounds like too many challenges all together for a good outcome all alone.

trigger123 11-02-2013 05:07 PM

Yes that is him in the picture! I do have a good seat! I think it's just excitement maybe... But thank you everyone for replying!
I rode him without a saddle or bridle not so long ago (before with the tack!) He was fine when we walked, trotted and cantered (that was never done with him bareback & bridleless) and i stayed on!!! :)