The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Draft-sized English tack = a shopping nightmare. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/draft-sized-english-tack-%3D-shopping-30566/)

Jessabel 06-29-2009 11:58 AM

Draft-sized English tack = a shopping nightmare.

I'm trying to find a decent English snaffle bridle for Norman, but I can't find anything for under $150. I'd rather not spend more than about $50. And he's got a huge noggin. I'd rather not have one custom made because they're pretty expensive.

I found some nice ones at Stateline tack, but the sizes are either oversized or warmblood. Would a warmblood size fit a draft? And does anyone know where else they have decent quality and affordable draft-sized tack? Thanks :)

Solon 06-29-2009 12:00 PM

eBay is very good.

Also the draft tack store:

Draft Horse English

eventerdrew 06-29-2009 12:26 PM

I absolutely LOVE Crown bridles. I had the hardest time trying to find one that would fit my horse and it's great! pretty affordable too. I think they have oversized bridles. You can see them thru Dover

Solon 06-29-2009 12:42 PM

Depending on the size of draft you have most of what companies call 'Oversize' doesn't even come close to fitting. So contact the company first and ask for the actual measurments.

I've even had 'draft' halters not fit my horse because people out there do not realize that even drafts come in small medium and large sizes.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-29-2009 01:01 PM

Be verrrry carefuly with Ebay. I just bought a draft Bridle and it's horrible. It's an Asian import and the leather flakes away... dryer than wood. I spent $60 on it. I posted something not laong ago asking if a warmblood would fit.... they all said 'no'. Good luck in your search. Apparenty, I'm still searching, too =(

Solon 06-29-2009 01:22 PM

I've been pretty lucky with eBay. You have to really research the sellers, read the feedback. Even then, I've heard of people getting screwed. It is a chance you take, but if you find a good seller you can get great stuff for a lot less than a vendor.

Jessabel 06-29-2009 01:23 PM

Yeah, I'm not too comfortable with ebay. That's insane... $60 for a piece of dried up leather. Ouch.

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking at Dover saddlery, and some of their bridles are several hundred dollars. O.O I don't think I spent that much on my entire tack set. Jeez Louise.

When I win the lottery... lmao

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-29-2009 01:27 PM

Do you have a seller you can throw out there? I used Thoroughbred Express Tack Sales

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-29-2009 01:28 PM

I haven't searched yet, but I've been really happy with Tory Leather Co's quality. I'm hoping they make draft bridles.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessabel (Post 338551)
Yeah, I'm not too comfortable with ebay. That's insane... $60 for a piece of dried up leather. Ouch.

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking at Dover saddlery, and some of their bridles are several hundred dollars. O.O I don't think I spent that much on my entire tack set. Jeez Louise.

When I win the lottery... lmao

Solon 06-29-2009 01:40 PM

Is your horse a cross or an actual draft? If it's a draft, the link I gave you has good quality tack. I ordered a headstall and bit from them.