The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Good horse book recommendations (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/good-horse-book-recommendations-30590/)

myQHpaul 06-29-2009 06:59 PM

Good horse book recommendations

I absolutely love reading and I want to make sure that I am staying current with my horse's health and well-being. Can anyone recommend some books that might be good to have in my horse library? I just picked up "teach your horse perfect manners" by Kelly Marks and have the "horse owners veterinary handbook" saved on my wish list for barnes and nobles. Thanks.

OperationRescubilitate 06-29-2009 07:31 PM

I don't know about books, but horsechannel.com always has good articles

take care :)

Scoutrider 06-29-2009 08:58 PM

I love Cherry Hill's How to Think Like a Horse. Anything by Cherry Hill is worth a read, lol. I also have a book called Trail Riding, I think written by Rhonda Hart Poe. Everything you'd ever want to know about trail riding and everything involved. Some of the training tips for major behavioral issues sound a little "iffy" to me, but there is wonderful info on trail safety, correct packhorse loading, conditioning, and more.

Kentucky 06-30-2009 12:21 AM

I like Ride Smart by Criag Cameron, Ride the Journey by Chris Cox, The King Ranch Quarter Horses, The Art of Horsemanship by Xenophon (the first book on the subject) The US Cavarly Horse by General William H. Carter (this book is about selecting horse), and War Horse by Livingston Roberts (this book is about the Army's remount program ie breeding horses). Fiction I have no idea.

Nutty Saddler 06-30-2009 12:44 AM

I don't knoe if you know these books in the USA but in the UK there are two books that are a must

Veterinary notes for horse owners - vet bible in uk ( might not have some USA things, and somethings may go under a different name ), but this book covers just about everything.
Originally written by Cpt M.Horace Hayes but has been updated lots since then

The other book is the Manual Of Horsemanship, Official book of the Pony Club ( U.K. )

Kentucky 06-30-2009 12:48 AM

"The horse doctor Is In" is another good one.