The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Do you ride with a crop? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/do-you-ride-crop-305930/)

mrstorres2566 11-02-2013 08:05 PM

Do you ride with a crop?

I never have before, but my gelding had 2 weeks off due to a knee injury. It was normal looking after a week (the vet had cleared him), and he showed no pain, but I didn't want to push it. SO after his 2 weeks off, he decided going back to work was a TERRIBLE idea (he is the laziest horse ever to begin with). He decided rubbing his rider off on objects was awesome. He would literally run full speed, sideways at objects, and other horses, ignoring every cue. My BO and instructor suggested a riding crop to "remind" him to behave. The first time he started at a sideways canter, a nice tap on his shoulder corrected RIGHT away. He tried it one more time and got corrected again. After that he was perfect, and was totally in tune to me. I always thought riding crops were cruel, but I just realized they were a good tool if used correctly.

tinyliny 11-02-2013 08:23 PM

cruel? not hardly. most of the time, just having one is all it takes. more often than not, I hit my own boot when Z is being lazy and has ignored my leg. the noise is all it takes to wake him up.

mrstorres2566 11-02-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 4012482)
cruel? not hardly. most of the time, just having one is all it takes. more often than not, I hit my own boot when Z is being lazy and has ignored my leg. the noise is all it takes to wake him up.

I'm not sure he knew what it was. My instructor was like, "show it to him, make him aware you have it." I did, but he didn't seem to pay attention. She owned him for 3 years before me and said she never used one, because he mostly did lead line for beginners, so he probably had no idea what it was. But once it was used, and it was only a firm tap, he started paying more attention to me. He kept one ear firmly trained on me, making sure he heard whatever I was asking.

bsms 11-02-2013 08:42 PM

My 'crop' is wrapped around the saddle horn. It isn't used often, but it is nice to have available at all times.

Used properly, a crop or whip makes the horse SOFTER to cues. When I took lessons a few years ago, the instructor put me on one horse and let me kick that **** SOB for 30 minutes...and he didn't ever trot. She then handed me a crop. One whack, and he then trotted at light pressure from the calf for the rest of the lesson. Her point was that if you have the option of escalating, then the horse will often choose to respond quickly to light pressure. But if the horse knows you cannot escalate, he may call your bluff...

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...b89c0_full.jpg

And like tinyliny, I often just hit my leg or the saddle. The noise is usually enough. The worst I've ever used it on her wouldn't hurt me if it hit me that hard in the face.

Actually, I did try once to make her go forward when she was scared by hitting her HARD on the rump. She put it into reverse and we flew back up the trail 50-75 yards, until she felt safer and I realized that I will never hit Mia hard enough to MAKE her do anything! :oops:

GamingGrrl 11-02-2013 08:44 PM

I very rarely use one. I use them while running speed events at competitions, but only if my horse is being lazy and not giving it his all. I'll occasionally use one if we're having a respect issue ("uh no, let's go to the arena gate now, rides over, I'm the boss now" sort of stuff from the horses)
Posted via Mobile Device

mrstorres2566 11-02-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 4012618)
I very rarely use one. I use them while running speed events at competitions, but only if my horse is being lazy and not giving it his all. I'll occasionally use one if we're having a respect issue ("uh no, let's go to the arena gate now, rides over, I'm the boss now" sort of stuff from the horses)
Posted via Mobile Device

My horse and I have a lot of respect issues. But again, he was always used for beginner riders who had no idea how to correct him, so he pretty much got away with everything for 3 whole years. There is only 3 people who he rarely pulls his crap with and that's BO, the other trainer and our junior trainer. Because he knows if he does there WILL be consequences. He is learning I mean business as well, but it takes time I suppose.

mrstorres2566 11-02-2013 09:09 PM

Yeah, I just gave him a firm tap, just to get his attention. And it worked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 4012578)
My 'crop' is wrapped around the saddle horn. It isn't used often, but it is nice to have available at all times.

Used properly, a crop or whip makes the horse SOFTER to cues. When I took lessons a few years ago, the instructor put me on one horse and let me kick that **** SOB for 30 minutes...and he didn't ever trot. She then handed me a crop. One whack, and he then trotted at light pressure from the calf for the rest of the lesson. Her point was that if you have the option of escalating, then the horse will often choose to respond quickly to light pressure. But if the horse knows you cannot escalate, he may call your bluff...

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...b89c0_full.jpg

And like tinyliny, I often just hit my leg or the saddle. The noise is usually enough. The worst I've ever used it on her wouldn't hurt me if it hit me that hard in the face.

Actually, I did try once to make her go forward when she was scared by hitting her HARD on the rump. She put it into reverse and we flew back up the trail 50-75 yards, until she felt safer and I realized that I will never hit Mia hard enough to MAKE her do anything! :oops:

tinyliny 11-02-2013 09:17 PM

I don't ususally tap my horse. I already "tapped" him when I asked him with my leg . if I use the crop, it's going to be impressionable. Don't tap, smack! once, and if you want to , smack your own boot. But, it should be firm, quick and make an impresssion. otherwise you simple take away the power of the crop, one TAP at a time.

Saddlebag 11-02-2013 09:23 PM

I rode my good trail gelding bareback a lot but never without a crop. His sense of humor sometimes warranted my suggestion of delivering a whack behind my leg.

Allison Finch 11-02-2013 09:24 PM

While I seldom need to use a crop/whip...I ALWAYS carry one. One of my past coaches, Jack LeGoff once told me that a "Good rider always carries a stick and never uses it".

Words I live by, it seems.