The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   will not eat alfalfa loose leaf, only stem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/will-not-eat-alfalfa-loose-leaf-30608/)

susiehede 06-29-2009 10:54 PM

will not eat alfalfa loose leaf, only stem

my horse will not eat the loose leaf of his alfalfa. He will only eat the stem. I am giving him supplements but it is difficult to get him sufficient nutients when he is eating only half of his alfalfa. Why is he doing this? His vet does not know. Other people tell me they know of other horses who have done this, but they don't know why. His weight is becoming a very critical problem. What can I do? Does anybody know what caused him to do this? If I caused this, I definitely don't want to repeat this situation with any other horse. It is becoming almost impossible to maintain his weight. I don't know why he is doing this. If anyone knows why a horse would refuse to eat the loose leaf of their alfalfa, please, please let me know. I am afraid to care for any other horse because I don't know what I did to cause this critical situation. I don't want to repeat this. Please help ...

weefoal 06-30-2009 09:45 AM

Normally horses love the leaves so I would have to wonder if there is some kind of pesticide or something on there. Years ago we got what we thought was beautiful alfalfa. Within days 4 horses coliced and one went to OSU. Finally found out after testing the hay it was full of pesticides from a nearby cornfield. (pesticide drift)

Can you buy some other hay and see if it works better?

If the weight is going down I would get him on a complete feed like Purina Equine Senior (depending on his age)

Remember make all feed changes gradually!

aabqh 06-30-2009 11:19 AM

Susie is on anything other than alfalfa, meaning a grain or pelleted concentrate diet? If so how is he eating that?

G and K's Mom 06-30-2009 11:46 AM

Try some different hay and feed free choice if you can.......When were his teeth done last?