The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Wrapping legs after riding (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/wrapping-legs-after-riding-306194/)

cessi0909 11-03-2013 10:20 AM

Wrapping legs after riding

I owned and rode as a teen and now am getting back into it. I started jumping again and had a question. We used to put liniment on the horses legs, then do the standing wraps after jumping. I have not seen this being done anymore, did that practice end?

horselovinguy 11-03-2013 11:15 AM

Not if you value your mounts legs and soundness.

I am not in a "show" barn anymore but my friends are and they all rub and wrap after a hard schooling, jumping session or especially a show on unfamiliar terrain and footing.

Some other friends barrel race and rope... their horses are rubbed and wrapped after a competition faithfully.
Certainly not something she sees others doing she has told me, but it is what she is comfortable doing for the horses and has had no issues of sore or lame...

Sometimes I wonder if with the rush, rush, rush world we live in if short-cuts are just done and the horse isn't kept around long enough to see the damage done from not taking care of the animal properly for what job it is being asked to do.
I've also seen "new" riders who have never been taught this for whatever the reason...maybe the trainer also is un-knowledgeable... IDK.

If you are comfortable doing it and know how to rub & wrap properly, I look at it as... who cares what others do or think... my horse, my responsibility for this animals comfort and well-being falls upon my shoulders!!
If this isn't your horse, you need to check with the owner as to their wishes as they foot the bills not you but for a lesson/riding fee.

Zexious 11-03-2013 12:07 PM

What exactly is liniment and what does it do? It's not something I've ever heard of ._. /I feel like a nooblet.

jumanji321 11-03-2013 04:42 PM

The only place I see it done on a regular basis is the race track.

beau159 11-03-2013 05:04 PM

I primarily barrel race and I make sure to take care of my horse's legs after every run, and after any hard workout. A lot of barrel racers I know do the same. We know the legs take a beating during a barrel run, and we do our best to preserve the legs.

I myself like to use either ice boots, or Sore No More poultice, after a run or a hard workout. Before a run I will give their legs Back on Track wrap therapy.

cessi0909 11-06-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zexious (Post 4016130)
What exactly is liniment and what does it do? It's not something I've ever heard of ._. /I feel like a nooblet.

Liniments are designed to provide temporary relief for minor aches and pains often associated with arthritis and overworked muscles. Active ingredients typically generate heating or cooling effects (think Ben-Gay for horses). Poultices usually provide temporary “cold” therapy for inflamed tissues and are commonly clay-based.

horselovinguy 11-07-2013 08:40 PM

"Poultices and liniments can help prevent soreness and stiffness in your horse, and can reduce swelling and inflammation. They’re great to apply after workouts and can help with your horse’s recovery."

Here is the article I cut and pasted the above excerpt from in the entirety so you have a better understanding of liniments and poultices and what they can do that so good for your horse.

A Look at Poultices and Liniments « Best Horse Stalls – Classic Equine Equipment

Here is another information source of liniments and poultices, the differences and some of the reasons why such things are used...

Liniments and Poultices for Sore Horses

tlkng1 11-07-2013 09:29 PM

I was always taught to NEVER wrap over liniment (am referring to stuff like Absorbine, Vetrolin etc...liniment braces)...it can blister if the horse is sensitive. A supporting standing wrap OR liniment but never both.

A newer method I have heard several trainers talk about is to cold hose both before and after a ride.

NaeNae87 11-11-2013 09:59 PM

I fail to understand how liniment (which because of the alcohol evaporating will cool legs) and then wrapping the legs (which heats them up again) or clay which is a very effective insulator (ie - it keeps in heat) is supposed to be good for a horses legs...

We know that heating tendons and ligaments is not good for them and it actually weakens them, so why apply something that essentially will keep the legs hot to help keep horses sound. It sound counter productive to me. I use ice or cold water boots myself as this applies the pressure of a wrap or bandage while cooling the legs down to prevent swelling. It's also a lot cheaper than buying liniments, gels and clay...

Ice or cold water hosing are really effective methods of cooling down legs, more so than applying bandages and/or clay. Once legs are cool, by all means bandage to help prevent swelling but not while you are trying to bring down the temperature of the legs.

Cooling legs | Eventing Worldwide

tlkng1 11-12-2013 08:35 AM

Liniment and other type braces increases the blood flow to the area..that is the idea behind them. The alcohol in them may evaporate but the liniment itself is a heat type therapy. Think of something like Ben Gay or Icy Hot for humans. The liquid portion evaporates while the heating portion absorbs. The standard "treatment" for muscle strains/pulls etc is first 24 hrs apply heat (liniment, heating pad etc) and then cold.

Another trainer I had also suggested the cold hosing treatment both before and after work so that is another option.