The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   How do I get my Horse Back? Lost?Stolen? PLEASE READ!!!HELP!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/how-do-i-get-my-horse-30630/)

Huntingirl89 06-30-2009 10:53 AM

How do I get my Horse Back? Lost?Stolen? PLEASE READ!!!HELP!!!

I have a 6 year old paint gelding that I do I number of things with... Drill Team, Trails, Barrels ect. He is my baby. He started to act up out of nowhere. I took him to the vet and they said he needed some time off to relax. He is a hot horse as it is and he was just going nuts it seemed like. Trying to buck, rear, not wanting to preform.... So I decided to do what the vet said. My half sister who lives in Missorri has a 50,000 acre ranch. I spoke with her and she agreed that I could bring him up there to be turned out for a while. I took him there and eveything was fine. I came back to where I live in Florida and kept in touch to see that he was doing well. After 2 months of being there my sister tells me she sold him. Can you beleive that? Just sold him and the real kicker is she sold him for $500.

Ok now here is where I am now... I have his papers, vet records, 40+ Pictures, Bill of sale when I bought him, Coggins, Health Certificate from vet before I took him to my sisters...
*DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS ENOUGH TO PROVE OWNERSHIP AND BRING MY BABY HOME*
My sister is trying to say I am not permitted to go on her proberty. If she has him there am I allowed to get him? If I bring the police with me can I just show them his information and pick him up? I dont know where to go from here... All I know is that I did NOT want him sold under any sercumstances.
Does anyone know anything about this? What else can I do to ensure I can get my horse back? PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE HELPFULL! I am flying to Missorri this Coming Friday and I am going to try to get my baby back. :cry:
Thank you for reading my message... Please comment back with any ideas.
Taylor McGuire
Worried & Pissed Owner :cry::-x

goldilockz 06-30-2009 10:57 AM

If you have a bill of sale from when you bought him, and no bill of sale exists between you and your sister, call the police both at your home and in her county in Missouri.

I am so sorry! I can't imagine dealing with this situation with my SISTER!

ShannonSevenfold 06-30-2009 11:30 AM

I'd say you could definately get somewhere with what you have. Like goldilockz said, if you have the bill of sale, and no such bill of sale exists between you and your sister, YES you probably have a case.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-30-2009 11:38 AM

Call the cops

reining girl 06-30-2009 03:27 PM

call your police and the ones there. You should be able to get your horse back, i cant believe your sister did this to.

DakotaLuv 06-30-2009 03:37 PM

Oh gosh, I am so sorry...that is just terrible! And your sister too! I would call the police, tell them the entire story, show them the proof of purchase, papers, etc. and see what they can do. I'd be one to go steal one of her horses and see how she likes it and then try and trade her for your horse back....but you probably shouldn't do that. Hope you get him back!!

White Foot 06-30-2009 03:38 PM

Get a lawyer.

goldilockz 06-30-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equestriun (Post 339451)
Get a lawyer.

This too!

QHDragon 06-30-2009 04:02 PM

Call the police and be prepared to get a lawyer to help with advice. Since your sister was not the owner of the horse than she has no right to sell thie horse.
I'm really sorry to hear something like this happen especially by your sister. Did she say why she did it? Where you suppose to be paying her board and didn't? If that is the case than she may have a claim to selling him as payment for the back board. Not sure exactly how that works, but I have heard of it happening. Anyway, best of luck to you.

Scoutrider 06-30-2009 08:40 PM

Good grief! Your SISTER! Wow.

Definitely call the police in your area and in Missouri, explain the situation to them. Get a lawyer to advise you (Maybe do that before you call the cops). I'm sure you have enough paperwork to prove that you legitimately own him, but professional legal help is probably your best bet.

:shock:I'm still amazed, I keep rereading the original post. What a mess.

Best of luck.