The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Which OTTB mare would you pick? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/ottb-mare-would-you-pick-306330/)

EliRose 11-03-2013 03:15 PM

Which OTTB mare would you pick?

I went and saw two mares today, and I really liked both of them. Both were very responsive, friendly, and had lovely ground manners. There was a four year old that helped tack them up! Both are green, but did nothing wrong.

I've decided I definitely want to buy one of them, but I'm having trouble deciding which. I'm going to go back out to the owner's farm next Friday with my trainer, and the owner is willing to do a week trial at my trainer's farm with whatever horse I decide on. I'm looking for a low-level eventer/hunter pace horse that I can just play with. I have no interest in being competitive.

Also, I know these are terrible pictures/videos but they're all I have. I forgot to get pictures myself.

1) 12 year old brown mare, was used as a broodmare for a few years. A little more green than the second mare, she was a bit "jiggy" in the beginning but calmed down quickly. She is a nice big COUCH! Very comfortable, very honest jumper.

2) 5 year old chestnut mare, off the track in May. She's only been in retraining for a month, but has a nice wtc. Absolutely impeccable ground manners. Nicely bred, sire is Defrere, 8 time NJ leading sire and dam is Adriana Storm by Coastal Storm. She needs quite a bit of weight, but didn't put a hoof out of place. I was originally just going to see her, but her owner asked if I wanted to try the above horse too and I did.
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...23633789_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...07497134_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...02024378_n.jpg

So what do you guys think?

KylieHuitema 11-03-2013 03:54 PM

All I can really say is that the chestnut looks VERY disproportioned. Her neck and head looks like it belongs on a much smaller horse, to me anyways

Allison Finch 11-03-2013 04:38 PM

Well, if I had to choose, I would pick the first one. She seems very sensitive and possibly prone to being fairly hot, but I much prefer her movement and jump. She is a much better mover, IMHO.

The second does look like a "packer" that would be easier to ride. But, I am not a fan of her overall conformation and I am not a fan of her movement. She is stiff through the shoulder and it affects her movement. It also makes her sloppy over the very small fence, but this might improve over a larger fence (or not).

So, if you want an easier ride and don't care about the movement and overall look as much, maybe two. If you are willing to deal with a more sensitive horse who has a better overall appeal, I would go one.

Either way, a very thorough prepurchase vet check is a must.

Weezilla 11-03-2013 04:47 PM

The brown mare has 3 nice gaits, is a much better mover and looks to have a level if not uphill build. Her neck is nicely shaped. Her trot shows freedom of shoulder which indicates that she shouldn't have much trouble picking up her knees over fences. The trot is quite nice:-) Her canter is a good 3-beat rolling canter, also quite nice. The only thing I'd fault her on is possible grumpiness, but a 45 sec video isnt enough to judge attitude, and you said she was lovely on the ground. Plus she is more green than the chestnut.

The 2nd mare looks very downhill, and she moves like a sewing machine-very short and choppy strides. She looks like an angel attitude-wise, though.

I'd be picking the brown mare.

Weezilla 11-03-2013 05:32 PM

I forgot to add that the chestnut is extremely heavy on the forehand due to her confo, and that may cause soundness problems down the road.

EliRose 11-04-2013 08:03 AM

Thank you for your replies! I think I will be going with the brown mare. She was a bit hotter than the other one, but not too bad. I honestly think the chestnut is too small for me, she's very narrow too. I'll still ride her again and see if I like her more, but as of now I'm going to get the brown.

And yes, I'll have a very thorough PPE done by my vet while I have her on trial :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Weezilla 11-04-2013 08:37 AM

I hope it all works out :-)

Zexious 11-04-2013 10:54 AM

They are both lovely!

Personally, I like the look of the second mare... But I can't really backup my statement. The first one has nicer strides, and looks like she will take you further. I think you made the right decision!

CLaPorte432 11-04-2013 11:17 AM

I like the brown mare. She's twice the others age, and greener, but overall, she's built better and I see more potential in her, just based on conformation and movement alone.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 11-04-2013 11:45 AM

I agree, the brown is a better horse overall. The only negative about her as compared with the chestnut is her age....but 12 is still fairly young these days.