The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Died and went to Heaven (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/died-went-heaven-30654/)

Survalia 06-30-2009 04:55 PM

Died and went to Heaven

Hi everybody. I've been reading the forum for a while, playing the carrot game, asking a question or two, but have not told my story yet. I had such a great day today that I finally decided to share. I am 53 years old. I grew up in western South Dakota, and lots of my friends had horses. I had a chance to ride a bit then, but as time went on, I got further and further away from them, except for a few touristy trail rides. Last year, at a family reunion, my cousin's wife (who is close to my age), told me she bought a horse. I was very intrigued, and began to think, "Why not at least take a few lessons, just for the chance to ride once in a while?" I did just that, and was having such fun! I began to read books and look online for anything I could learn about horses. It was actually on this forum that I discovered the barn where I now ride. It is the only horse rescue facility in eastern South Dakota (where I now live). The owner offers "sponsorships" of the rescued horses. In exchange for a monthly donation, part of which I work out in chores, I am able to hang out and learn, as well as ride twice a week. I get so much more out of it than I did the lessons, because there is no time limit. I can spend the majority of the day there, just soaking it in. I do not have formal lessons, but the owner is very knowledgeable, and has taught me so much. I am also being taught by the horse I ride, a 26 year old Palomino gelding who is a retired reining horse. Today was a perfect sunshiny day, not too hot, with a breeze to keep the bugs away. We took a nice long ride out through the fields, and I found myself reflecting on the past year and the changes that have happened in my life. I was so deeply content, that the thought actually crossed my mind that I had died and gone to heaven! I am so grateful for this second chance, a dream that I had as a very young girl has come true. Check out the website: www.doublehphorses.org :-)

free_sprtd 06-30-2009 05:18 PM

hey there and welcome to the HF! hope you enjoy it here even more :)

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-30-2009 05:39 PM

Welcome to the forum! I love your story. I think it's great you've seeked what makes you happy. It's something to be commended.

RoosterDo 06-30-2009 06:42 PM

welcome