The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Same horse for wp and speed events (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/same-horse-wp-speed-events-306905/)

HankIsMyHorse 11-04-2013 03:49 PM

Same horse for wp and speed events

Does anyone use the same horse for western pleasure, horsemanship, trail class with a slow jog& lope with their head down and still go fast as the horse can go for barrels,
Do use different bits, one for gaming and the other for wp?
What kinds of bits would you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 11-04-2013 04:31 PM

I could afford one horse. She knew the snaffle meant ring work, the curb meant western pleasure and the hackamore was for speed events. She was also ridden English in the snaffle and would jump about 2'6.

Palomine 11-04-2013 05:11 PM

You will run your WP horse, is you are looking to get a decent one, by doing barrels on it.

While some of them can and do run barrels successfully, that is what they do, they are not pulled out of that and stuck in WP class and expected to win.

The two methods of moving are too different, and what you want for WP is a horse that is flat kneed, slow moving and underneath nicely behind. And the shoeing will be different too for them.

Decide which you want to do and then do that. Or get a horse for each.

beau159 11-04-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 4025057)

Decide which you want to do and then do that. Or get a horse for each.

I am going to disagree with this.

I think the key factor here is what LEVEL you want to do all these things at. No, you aren't going to take a horse to win the AQHA world in Western Pleasure, and then next weekend take the horse to the National Finals Rodeo to win barrel racing.

But if you want to go to a local level show and enter all the events with one horse? Nothing wrong with that. And as a matter of fact, it can easily be done.

At one show, here's how my horse Red did:
--4th place halter
--3rd place western pleasure
--3rd place reining
--2nd place competitive trail
--2nd place pole bending
--1st place ring race
--(almost placed in barrels ... 5th place)

There were about 15 adults in entered in each event.

But I do very specific things for each event.

The slow events, I have a low-port solid mouthpiece for my bit. No breastcollar, no sport boots. I make sure my body is relaxed, reins are loose, and give him a calm "waaaaaaalk" voice cue when we enter the arena.

For the speed events, I use a Carol Goosetree bit, barrel reins, sport boots, and a breastcollar. I have some rein contact going into the arena, and my body is "excited". I'm also verbally saying "Ready, Red??? Ready?!?!" in an excited voice.

He darn well knows when it's time to run, and when it's time to look have a pretty WP job.

paintedpastures 11-16-2013 10:52 PM

I think some horses can go from doing other classes to also doing barrels:wink:.
I think taking a WP horse & doing Barrels isn't the best,He is either slow & collected or fast,good way to ruin a WP horse. Taking a horse that is more of a pattern horse & teaching it barrels you may have more success:D. Depends on level of competition Higher end showing you should stay with like events.

That said My first horse I showed AQHA She was too small to be competitive for the pleasure classes & halter, so did trail with her & yes all the speed events:D.She knew what she was going in ring for:D if she was to be slow & quiet or revved up to run:lol: I won several year end awards with her in trail & she was always at top of her class in the speed events,making AQHA top ten honor role & world show qualifying in Pole bending.
Open Shows I'd take her in more stuff & she always did well

Rideordie112 12-07-2013 10:02 PM

I use my paint horse for everything! Barrels, gymkhana, western pleasure, working cow horse and even hunter jumper. And we've never done anything without taking at least a 3rd place ribbon. Because he's a level minded horse who wants to please. Don't listen to people telling you to choose one only. Try everything you can with your horse! Cause riding Is all about fun right?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 12-07-2013 10:07 PM

Depends on your horse if you can do both, and yes you probably will need different bits for different disciplines. If you can do both and your horse enjoys both, do it!

MyLittlePonies 12-23-2013 01:54 AM

It's possible. I have horses here that give it their all doing speed and pleasure.

Saddlebag 12-23-2013 09:14 AM

My mare did both. She learned that the bit she wore determined what was expected. It was either a heavy western curb or a mechanical hackamore.

ForeverSunRider 12-23-2013 10:25 AM

I've heard that a speed horse can do WP but a WP horse cannot (or should not) do speed.

My horse, Sonny, is a speed horse, and he *could* do WP but Nick is my WP horse and he couldn't do speed to save his soul.