The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Red's Official Injury Thread (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/reds-official-injury-thread-307001/)

beau159 11-04-2013 04:48 PM

Red's Official Injury Thread

:think:

Just when I think that Red couldn't possibly get himself hurt again, he proves me wrong. But let's start at the beginning of the "story".

I bought Red in May 2012. Basically, a green 6-year-old AQHA gelding. He's bred well for barrels and is a wide 15.2. 2012 went fine, besides me having a very difficult time figuring him out and getting used to him. Let's just say that he is bubbling over with personality and quirks. :wink:

On January 16th, 2013, the "fun" begins with injury #1

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pse7c0aee4.jpg

He got his hind left leg into the smooth wire fence. He must have been goofing around and kicked out and got caught, as best we can piece together. He cut himself down to the joint capsule of the hock and the tendon. (Full thread here: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...my-boy-150260/ ) He was on about 45 days stall rest, and it took me some time, but I finally am a professional at hock bandage wrapping.

The vet flexioned and tested him for lameness in early April, and he passed. The wound was still healing, but I was cleared to ride him.

Fast forward to the beginning of June for injury #2

I had Red at a reining trainer for 30 days, which helped us a lot and me understanding him better. A couple weeks after I got him home, he started feeling "off" in his front end. A very faint head bob that would come and go. Right away I chaulked it up to him being him, because he (overall) is a short-strided horse. When my mother made a comment, that's when I knew something must be wrong and I took him in.

I didn't get a conclusive answer from the lameness vet, but we believe he is landing/loading on his front feet unevenly which is causing him heel pain. We did x-rays and his short pastern joint spaces are slightly uneven. But Red is also slightly pigeon-toed. (Full details here http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...ssible-224586/ )

I thought it would take months of experimenting with corrective shoeing to get him to "feel" right again. But to my surprise, a simple 2 degree wedge shoe and wedge pad on the front feet, one week off with bute, made him 100% sound. He felt so great!! We don't plan on keeping him in wedges forever, but it worked great this year. Will try just a plain shoe next year.

And that brings us to injury #3

On September 7th, 2013 I took him to a family rodeo to compete in barrels, poles, and keyhole. After watching the video, he didn't look right in his back end. He was pushing off both legs, instead of reaching underneath himself in the turn.

I took this video a few days later to confirm my suspicion

He was actually cross-firing in his back end; worse on a right barrel turn. Off to the lameness vet we go again. She diagnoses him with a catching stifle in his right hind. I actually felt it for myself and could feel it "catching" every few steps.

She thinks it can be maintained by just riding lots of hills and keeping him legged up (may be hard in the North Dakota winters without an indoor arena) because it's not that bad. I've chatted with a lot of people about this, and when spring rolls around when I'm ready to ride him hard again, I think I want to try injections or something. I kept him legged up really good all year, and he still had a catching stifle. No, it wasn't hill work every day but he was in darn good shape. I'm just doubting exercise is going to do it for him.

So I've still been trying to ride him 3 times a week, even though it is now dark at 6 PM.

Except ..... I haven't ridden in the last week due to injury #4

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pse9dd7447.jpg

Notice the enormous right front leg? **facepalm**

Last weekend, my two boys were turned out in the 120 acres with the rest of the horses I board with. Well apparently on early Wednesday morning, Red decided to exit the pasture. Thankfully all the wounds are very superficial, but I'm betting he smacked his right knee on a T-post. Initially, it was only his knee that was swollen. That morning of this picture, he had been standing sleeping, and I suspect it had stocked up. I did my usual hand-walk and cold hose and it helped.

Thankfully, there is no heat to the knee and he is not lame on it. He doesn't like it if I pick up his foot and bend his knee all the way, but it just may be because of all the fluid, and not necessarily that anything is damaged.

I've already spoken with the vet on the phone, and we're playing the "wait and see" game at the moment. I am certainly not in a rush to take him to the vet when he's not lame on it, and I've already spent thousands of $$$$ this year on vet bills. I am not made of money, for crying out loud!! Apparently Red thinks I am.

BLAH!! So there it is. Four completely different injuries in less than 12 months.

Seriously Red .... do I need to wrap you in bubble wrap?

And build a treadmill so that your crooked front end can rest and get better, but I can exercise your back end stifle issue?

Not really sure if there is any meaning behind my book-long post .... except that I am sick and tired of a "hurt prone" and "accident prone" horse.

End.

natisha 11-04-2013 05:15 PM

I'm sorry you're going through all this.
I'm amazed at how Red didn't think 120 acres was enough land! He's a silly boy.

dressagebelle 11-04-2013 05:19 PM

My thoroughbred mare was quite accident prone so I know what you are going through. In just the three years I owned her, she punctured three of her legs, one that got horribly infected, poked a hole in her hip, pulled the tendon the wraps around her knee, and the big doozy, tore her superficial flexor tendon almost completely through. I swear at night she would lay there thinking up things she could do to hurt herself. Before I got her, she also ran through barb wire fencing at one point. So ya, accident prone horses suck. But you gotta love them anyways.

PixiTrix 11-04-2013 07:28 PM

Ugh good luck. I have a feeling my mare is headed this way- literally very single freakin day I take her in from pasture she has some new bump, cut or scrape. It's only been a month and she hasn't done anything major yet but she's such a klutz!

Northernstar 11-04-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 4024849)
:think:

Just when I think that Red couldn't possibly get himself hurt again, he proves me wrong. But let's start at the beginning of the "story".

I bought Red in May 2012. Basically, a green 6-year-old AQHA gelding. He's bred well for barrels and is a wide 15.2. 2012 went fine, besides me having a very difficult time figuring him out and getting used to him. Let's just say that he is bubbling over with personality and quirks. :wink:

On January 16th, 2013, the "fun" begins with injury #1

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pse7c0aee4.jpg

He got his hind left leg into the smooth wire fence. He must have been goofing around and kicked out and got caught, as best we can piece together. He cut himself down to the joint capsule of the hock and the tendon. (Full thread here: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...my-boy-150260/ ) He was on about 45 days stall rest, and it took me some time, but I finally am a professional at hock bandage wrapping.

The vet flexioned and tested him for lameness in early April, and he passed. The wound was still healing, but I was cleared to ride him.

Fast forward to the beginning of June for injury #2

I had Red at a reining trainer for 30 days, which helped us a lot and me understanding him better. A couple weeks after I got him home, he started feeling "off" in his front end. A very faint head bob that would come and go. Right away I chaulked it up to him being him, because he (overall) is a short-strided horse. When my mother made a comment, that's when I knew something must be wrong and I took him in.

I didn't get a conclusive answer from the lameness vet, but we believe he is landing/loading on his front feet unevenly which is causing him heel pain. We did x-rays and his short pastern joint spaces are slightly uneven. But Red is also slightly pigeon-toed. (Full details here http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...ssible-224586/ )

I thought it would take months of experimenting with corrective shoeing to get him to "feel" right again. But to my surprise, a simple 2 degree wedge shoe and wedge pad on the front feet, one week off with bute, made him 100% sound. He felt so great!! We don't plan on keeping him in wedges forever, but it worked great this year. Will try just a plain shoe next year.

And that brings us to injury #3

On September 7th, 2013 I took him to a family rodeo to compete in barrels, poles, and keyhole. After watching the video, he didn't look right in his back end. He was pushing off both legs, instead of reaching underneath himself in the turn.

I took this video a few days later to confirm my suspicion

Saltys Red Rock barrel turns 9-11-13 - YouTube

He was actually cross-firing in his back end; worse on a right barrel turn. Off to the lameness vet we go again. She diagnoses him with a catching stifle in his right hind. I actually felt it for myself and could feel it "catching" every few steps.

She thinks it can be maintained by just riding lots of hills and keeping him legged up (may be hard in the North Dakota winters without an indoor arena) because it's not that bad. I've chatted with a lot of people about this, and when spring rolls around when I'm ready to ride him hard again, I think I want to try injections or something. I kept him legged up really good all year, and he still had a catching stifle. No, it wasn't hill work every day but he was in darn good shape. I'm just doubting exercise is going to do it for him.

So I've still been trying to ride him 3 times a week, even though it is now dark at 6 PM.

Except ..... I haven't ridden in the last week due to injury #4

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pse9dd7447.jpg

Notice the enormous right front leg? **facepalm**

Last weekend, my two boys were turned out in the 120 acres with the rest of the horses I board with. Well apparently on early Wednesday morning, Red decided to exit the pasture. Thankfully all the wounds are very superficial, but I'm betting he smacked his right knee on a T-post. Initially, it was only his knee that was swollen. That morning of this picture, he had been standing sleeping, and I suspect it had stocked up. I did my usual hand-walk and cold hose and it helped.

Thankfully, there is no heat to the knee and he is not lame on it. He doesn't like it if I pick up his foot and bend his knee all the way, but it just may be because of all the fluid, and not necessarily that anything is damaged.

I've already spoken with the vet on the phone, and we're playing the "wait and see" game at the moment. I am certainly not in a rush to take him to the vet when he's not lame on it, and I've already spent thousands of $$$$ this year on vet bills. I am not made of money, for crying out loud!! Apparently Red thinks I am.

BLAH!! So there it is. Four completely different injuries in less than 12 months.

Seriously Red .... do I need to wrap you in bubble wrap?

And build a treadmill so that your crooked front end can rest and get better, but I can exercise your back end stifle issue?

Not really sure if there is any meaning behind my book-long post .... except that I am sick and tired of a "hurt prone" and "accident prone" horse.

End.

After your signature it says you have 6 horses - do you think that maybe Red could rest a bit and recover while focusing on these endeavors with another? I would :)

beau159 11-04-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 4025089)
I'm sorry you're going through all this.
I'm amazed at how Red didn't think 120 acres was enough land! He's a silly boy.

Ugh. I know! Silly boy. Like the grass in the section line was any less "brown" than the grass in the pasture.

I kinda wonder if he didn't get chased or something like that. They had been in with the other 10 or so horses for 3 days at that point. Red is a "alpha type" horse himself, and he tends to be the boss, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have felt threatened by another. Herd Hierarchy.....

Or he may have just done it on his own. Who knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagebelle (Post 4025121)
So ya, accident prone horses suck. But you gotta love them anyways.

Well it makes me feel better that I don't have the only accident-prone horse; however I don't want anyone else's horses getting hurt either!

Yes, he's a darn good horse. He's worth it. He tries hard for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixiTrix (Post 4026049)
Ugh good luck. I have a feeling my mare is headed this way- literally very single freakin day I take her in from pasture she has some new bump, cut or scrape. It's only been a month and she hasn't done anything major yet but she's such a klutz!

Ooooo, thankfully it's just been minor stuff so far! Although that stuff is still annoying too, to be knicked and scraped up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 4026489)
After your signature it says you have 6 horses - do you think that maybe Red could rest a bit and recover while focusing on these endeavors with another? I would :)

Do you think maybe you could actually click on it, and look into those 6 horses?

One is dead.
One was sold; probably is dead too as she was old enough.
Two are my mother's; one is retired.
My other horse is 2 years old.
And then Red.

And please explain to me how "rest" is going to help his catching stifle issue, that is treated via hill exercise? It will worsen with inactivity.

And do you think you can read what I typed? Since his knee has been swollen, he has not been ridden. And he won't be ridden until the swelling is 100% gone and he's back to normal.

Regardless, how does riding my horse affect what he does in the pasture? Injury #1 and #4 were both in the pasture on his own accord.

Sorry, your comment rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I should go to bed now.

amp23 11-04-2013 11:16 PM

Good grief. This makes me glad I have a non-accident prone horse! Hoping he heals completely and for good soon!

Northernstar 11-05-2013 09:53 AM

Beau159, there was absolutely no ill thought when I made that suggestion, and I would never purposely post anything rude....politeness is my policy! Perhaps you were tired and frustrated which is very understandable - I hope for all the best in his recovery :)

beau159 11-05-2013 03:53 PM

Red's knee was looking a bit better last night, so hopefully that trend continues.

QHriderKE 11-06-2013 04:23 PM

I have a stifle stretch that very well could help him when you cant ride him! I also have a few more tricks up my sleeve. PM me if ya want?