The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Helmets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/helmets-30727/)

MIEventer 07-01-2009 11:38 AM

Helmets

When I was growing up, it was your a-typical velvet helmet. Nothing fancy to it at all........then the IRH came out, then the GPA, now the Charles Owen and they keep popping them out.

The most popular helmet today?? The GPA Air Speed. I cannot believe how many people have this helmet! What is with people copying GP Level Riders all the time? LOL!!!!

The GPA Air Speed - that is all black, is extremely hot, hot, hot right now!

http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/upload/45...Air%20Tone.jpg

I thought they looked ugly, but I tried one on this morning *I had to get new riding gloves* and OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

While I was there picking out new riding gloves, I went over to the helmet section because I wanted to try on a Charles Owen Skull Cap - I like it, but no air circulation what-so-ever.....can't get it...then I saw the GPA Air Speed.......

It's going to be my next helmet - ah....one day! I have to get one, not because it is popular - but because it is so comfortable, SUPER COOL on your head *which is great for those muggy MI summer days* and so light! I forgot I was even wearing it *yeah, I shopped with it on my head....I know..dorky*

I'm going to have to sell my Tipperary Sportage and my IRH. Not that selling those will give me even 1/4 $ to put towards a GPA Air Speed...those things are the price of a good used saddle for pete's sake - but I was saving my penny's for a Skull Cap, it's just that there is no ventilation at all on those helmets...and I can see my head being a pool of sweat after I get off a course.

BUT!!!! It'll be a long time waiting.....because they are super expensive......and getting a new saddle is more important right now....and of course, Eventing a ful season in 2010...........You know, making the choice "Helmet over HT's" isn't hard to make......lol.

I'll just have to be happy with my Tipperary Sportage for now :)

goldilockz 07-01-2009 11:39 AM

Ooooh that looks really nice... I might have to get one for next Summer when I can ride again.

JustDressageIt 07-01-2009 11:45 AM

I just about went in to cardiac arrest when I saw the pricetag on the Air Speed. Yikes!!
I paid about $300 for my CO and just about choked at that price, but it was the best helmet for my head, and the carbon fiber withstands more impact; knowing my track record, I need that protection.
Power to you if you can afford it - goodness!!

MIEventer 07-01-2009 11:49 AM

I most certainly cannot afford it! Way out of my price range - stupid me tried it on before I looked at the price tag on the box.

I couldn't even fathom paying $300 for a helmet - let along $500. I'd have to sell a kidney, and - even if I got that kind of money for a kidney, it wouldn't go on a helmet.

Bummer. They are very popular, and I can see why after trying one on. Too bad they don't make things like that for us poor folk.

kitten_Val 07-01-2009 12:00 PM

I go just for convenience. The only one which fit my head is Troxel (and not even all models, but just 2 :shock: ). I tried all those super-puper expensive helmets and Dover and NEITHER of them fit me. Yes, I know it's weird..... :?

MIEventer 07-01-2009 12:12 PM

You know, there is a girl at my barn who has a very nice Troxel...what is its' name??? Give me a moment..brain fart .........ahh..I don't know the name but here is the picture of it:

http://www.equestriancollections.com.../TX03533-1.jpg

That is a nice looking helmet! I wanted to try it on, but that would of been quite ignorant since the owner wasn't there and it is not my helmet.

eventerdrew 07-01-2009 01:57 PM

I had a Troxel for the longest time when I was growing up and in my first year of eventing. then I outgrew it and got my IRH (the black with gunmetal on the vent). I had that for 4 years then had a really bad fall in it. So I got my Charles Owen Pro Skull Cap II. I love it!

That GPA looks really nice. But I don't know if I would want THAT much venting! haha

IrishRider 07-01-2009 02:47 PM

I have an IRH and I really like it. The only complaint that I have is it fits my head perfectly when I have my hair in a low pony tail, but when I go to put it up for shows it gives me problems. Eventually I'll get a new helmet but for now my money is going to more important things....like the shows. :)

MIEventer 07-01-2009 04:12 PM

Eventerdrew - with your Skull Cap, do you find your head cannot breath? I tried one on at the tack store today, but I just felt that it wouldn't be "convenient" air circulation wise.

My IRH has a bit of ventilation - and my head still sweats like crazy in that during show days...........what do you think?

I'd love to get that GPA, but it is way out of my price range. Way.......way out.

eventerdrew 07-01-2009 04:20 PM

I was concerned about the lack of ventilation on the Skull Cap at first, but when you actually ride in it, it's really like any other helmet with ventilation. I am very sensitive to heat (I have a kidney condition that tends to make me get heat stroke easily) and I wouldn't have gotten it if it were that bad.

I thought my IRH was more uncomfortable than my Skull Cap. I will still use it for dressage and stadium though. My trainer said that the CO is more of a XC helmet and it's not classy enough for the dressage and stadium rings. I am planning on getting the CO Showjumper as soon as I can afford it... and my Rodney Powell vest... sometime....haha