The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Best Bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-bit-30764/)

xxJustJumpItxx 07-01-2009 07:57 PM

Best Bit?

I am re-training an OTQH and I am wondering what bit I should use? Right now I am riding him in a loose ring french link snaffle and he's doing okay, he's just not very soft to the bit. That might work out by getting his teeth floated (which will be done ASAP) or by just working at it, but I was wondering if there was a better bit. Here are a few I've seen that I like:

JP Korsteel Hunter Dee Ring with Copper Link:
http://www.statelinetack.com/prodima...ge/L104868.jpg

Korsteel Copper Roller Dee Ring: (really wanted a double-jointed, but this might work)
http://www.statelinetack.com/prodima...ge/L104850.jpg

AlBaCon French Link Eggbutt Snaffle: (this is that "copper enhanced german silver". looks interesting.)
AlBaCon French Link Eggbutt Horse Bit - Dover Saddlery.
Dover won't let you post pictures directly, so y'all are going to have to click on the link. Sorry :)

Any comments would be appreciated!

JustDressageIt 07-01-2009 08:14 PM

First off, I would suggest getting the teeth done right away.
My OTTB seemed to dislike every bit I tried. He accepted the bit, but didn't seem to be able to bend or really work into the bit. I couldn't understand why because my vet had given his teeth an all-clear. I got an equine dentist out and his teeth were so bad that his back molars weren't touching. His jaw was locked and he literally could NOT bend. So, now that his teeth are fixed, he's finally working well on the bit.
Absolutely NO NO NO to the second bit - the single joint copper roller. If you saw this bit in person you would understand a bit better, but that bit is absolutely stick-straight. There is no anatomical curve to the mouthpiece at all, and the copper rollers can pinch as well.

What, exactly, are you hoping for from a different bit?

I much prefer the first bit you showed, but I have a few things to say:

- a dee ring will encourage a horse to "hang on" to the bit more; with a loose ring, since the ring is always sliding, they can't brace against it
- if you are requiring more lateral pressure, a bit like this can do wonders. When you pull on the left rein, not only do you get pressure on the left side of the mouth, you also get pressure on the right cheek.
- if you're looking for something to act as both bits, by that I mean the horse being unable to brace like the loosering, but have the lateral pressure of the dee, you might want to try searching for a fulmer bit
http://www.horsetackinternational.co...953-fuller.jpg
but in a 3-piece rather than a single joint.
- Remember that the width of the middle piece affects the breakover of the bars of the bit. The longer the middle piece, the greater the breakover point. The shorter the middle piece... you get the idea. Some horses prefer one over the other.

xxJustJumpItxx 07-01-2009 08:39 PM

I just want him to accept the bit more and I heard that copper with encourage them to salivate and will help them work into the bit.

No, I've never seen a copper roller, thanks for the heads up! That's crossed off my list!

I'll look for a fulmer in a double jointed. I did want the dee ring for the lateral pressure (he resists turning a lot even with leg pressure), but if the fulmer does both, then all the better!

As soon as I move him, the vet will be out to look at him and I will get her to check his teeth. Do you suggest trying to find an equine dentist as well?

JustDressageIt 07-01-2009 09:00 PM

I'm sorry I wish I could say whether or not to get an equine dentist. If you can get one, great.
I had this bad experience with my vet; he said Denny's teeth were a bit worn, but to not worry about floating him for another half year or so. So when I got the equine dentist out about 7 weeks ago, he was absolutely blown away by how bad Denny's teeth were; and it wasn't something that had developed in such a short time.
In the time between vet check and equine dentist, I tried Denny in a few different bits. He seemed to want to work for me, but just couldn't, and didn't seem to really accept any bit I put him in.
When I asked the dentist about this, he said "this horse's mouth and jaw are a mess; he couldn't accept the bit and simply couldn't be comfortable."
Since the visit, in the 3 times I've ridden him (sustained a knee injury, no riding for me!) he seemed much better.
Some bits will have a little bit of copper inlaid into the rest of the metal; Metalab bits are really good, I find many of them have copper inlay. It can encourage some horses to work the bit and stop bracing with the jaw.
If you can get your hands on a dee and a fulmer to try them out and figure out which one works best for your specific horse, that would be absolutely wonderful.
I would suggest, however, getting the vet/dentist to float teeth before going and spending lots of money on bits; not only could you be buying a bit you don't need, but your vet/dentist can recommend bits that might work best with your horse's mouth conformation :)

xxJustJumpItxx 07-03-2009 12:30 PM

Great! I'll get his teeth checked by the vet and see if he starts to work better in his current bit. If not, I'll look at some of the bits you have suggested and see about trying to find an equine dentist :)

Thanks so much JDI!

ETA: I looked it up and have found someone at the Louisiana State University vet school (very elite vet school) that does equine dentistry, so i'll see if I can get him to come out and look at monster if need be!

JustDressageIt 07-03-2009 12:46 PM

You're very very welcome! I am so glad to hear that you are doing your research and are doing well by your horse - I'm sure he appreciates it and you should be proud of yourself.

xxJustJumpItxx 07-04-2009 12:30 AM

You don't know how much it means to me to know that you said that. Sometimes I feel like Monster deserves better. But knowing that people think that I'm doing good makes me feel great!

Misfit 07-04-2009 08:08 PM

If you don't want to go with a copper roller, you can go with a full copper mouth bit, a sweet iron, a german silver or an aurigan bit.

JustDressageIt 07-04-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxJustJumpItxx (Post 342493)
You don't know how much it means to me to know that you said that. Sometimes I feel like Monster deserves better. But knowing that people think that I'm doing good makes me feel great!

You're doing a great job hun :D

PS - the lime green is quite eye-catching! I like it!

IheartPheobe 07-04-2009 09:24 PM

I agree with JDI.
I use the first bit on Rupert, but it's all silver and it's not a D-ring.. okay, so it's not really the same. haha. I'm not sure it's him but it works for us! =]